1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding Electric Motor / Torque

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Hi ppl,
    I have 2 queries.
    1. I have 2 electric motors of different companies. Details are Power : 1 Hp , Rpm : 1440, V : 440V , 3 phase. 1 Motor use high standard Bearings as well as maintain high quality stator & machine winding, 2nd motor is of filthy quality. I want to find out the effficiency & power factor of both the motors. I know about the formula HP= (V x I x n'eff x pf)/ 746 but then its just theoritical since Voltage is constant but current & efficiencies are variable.

2. I couple this motor with a gearbox to produce an o/p of 100 rpm which is constant. Further I couple the o/p shaft of gearbox to a solid wheel of variable mass (total wt of wheel 3kgs & outer dia 67 cms) which rotates freely in the air (it doesnt act like flywheel) . I want to find as how many wheels can be fitted on the same shaft for particular HP of motor. Does finding torque required to drive 1 wheel help? If so then how?
    Plz Help
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted