Regarding g forces on Moon and Earth

In summary, the question asks for the ratio of heights an object will reach when thrown with the same initial velocity on the Earth and the Moon. Using the equations for displacement and velocity, the object will travel 6 times higher on the lunar surface (with g=1.6 m/s^2) compared to the surface of Earth (with g=9.8 m/s^2). This can also be seen by analyzing the problem using energy, where the maximum height is inversely proportional to the acceleration due to gravity.
rum2563

Homework Statement

For the same initial upward velocities, how many times higher will an object travel above the lunar surface (g=1.6 m/s^2) than above the surface of Earth? Assume air resistance is negligible.

Homework Equations

delta Y = v1y^2 X 10^2 + 1/2 X 9.8 m/s^2 X (10)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that initial velocity should be zero for both Earth and Moon.
I specified time to be 10 seconds.

For Earth:
delta Y = 0 X 10^2 m/+ 1/2 X 9.8 m/s^2 X (100)
= 1/2 X 9.8 s^2 X (100)
= 490 m

For Moon:
delta Y = 0 X 10^2 m/+ 1/2 X 1.6 m/s^2 X (100)
= 1/2 X 1.6 s^2 X (100)
= 80 m

So am I doing this right? Because I think my final answer would be that the object would be 6 times higher above the lunar surface than the surface above the Earth.

Somebody please help me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not want to know the ratio of heights at 10 seconds, you want to know the ratio of heights at the highest points.

HINT:At the highest points, what are the velocities of the objects? Also, since you don't have a time value, do you have some relation you can use that doesn't involve time?

rum2563 said:

Homework Statement

For the same initial upward velocities, how many times higher will an object travel above the lunar surface (g=1.6 m/s^2) than above the surface of Earth? Assume air resistance is negligible.

Homework Equations

For Earth:
= 1/2 X 9.8 s^2 X (100)
= 490 m

For Moon:
= 1/2 X 1.6 s^2 X (100)
= 80 m

So am I doing this right? Because I think my final answer would be that the object would be 6 times higher above the lunar surface than the surface above the Earth.

Well, yes, the object rises 6 times higher on the moon than on the earth, but you've arrived at that answer incorrectly using an incorrect equation for delta y , which should read delta y = Vo(t) - 1/2gt^2, and Vo is not 0, it is given that Vo= Vo in both cases). But rather than get involved with time, what is the equation that relates V, y, and g?.

Last edited:
ur answer is correct

rum2563 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Are you suggesting that gravity pulls things upward?

?? If the initial velocity of something thrown upward is 0, it won't go any distance up, either on the moon or earth!

For Earth:
= 1/2 X 9.8 s^2 X (100)
= 490 m

For Moon:
= 1/2 X 1.6 s^2 X (100)
= 80 m

You are answering the wrong question. What you calculated here is the distance a dropped object will fall in 10 seconds on Earth or moon (taking positive y to be downward).You were asked how much farther upward an object will go on the moon rather than the Earth if thrown with the same upward velocity.

Taking positive y to be upward, [itex]v_0[/itex] to be the initial velocity, the formulas you need are:
[tex]v= v_0- gt[/tex]
[tex]y= v_0 t- (g/2)t^2[/tex]

An object will go upward until v= 0 and its maximum height will be y at that t. For each value of g, set v= 0 and solve the first equation for t. Then use that t to find y.

If you analyse the problem using energy, you will see that the maximum height is inversely proportional to g.

AM

1. What is the difference in g forces between the Moon and Earth?

The g force, also known as gravitational force, on the Moon is about 1/6th of the g force on Earth. This means that objects on the Moon will feel lighter compared to objects on Earth.

2. How does the g force on the Moon affect human movement?

The lower g force on the Moon can make human movement feel slower and more fluid. Because of this, astronauts on the Moon must adjust their movements and steps to avoid losing their balance.

3. Are there any health risks associated with experiencing different g forces?

Yes, there are potential health risks associated with experiencing different g forces. On the Moon, astronauts may experience muscle atrophy and bone density loss due to the lower g force. On the other hand, experiencing higher g forces on other planets or during space travel can put strain on the body and potentially cause health issues such as blood pooling and cardiovascular problems.

4. Can the g force on the Moon affect the behavior of objects?

Yes, the lower g force on the Moon can affect the behavior of objects. For example, objects will fall more slowly and with less force on the Moon compared to Earth due to the weaker gravitational pull.

5. How is the g force on the Moon measured?

The g force on the Moon, as well as on any other celestial body, is measured using an accelerometer. This device measures the acceleration caused by gravity and can calculate the g force at a given location.