Region of Motion: Solving U(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d with E=3

• Thread starter tomwilliam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the student attempted to find the region of motion of a particle in a system following a potential energy function of: U(x)=ax4+bx3+cx+d and total energy of E=3. Unfortunately, they were not able to solve a quartic equation and were instead forced to simplify the potential energy function. They were able to find that 0=ax4+bx3+cx2+e and that a, b, c and e are all non-zero.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

Find the region of motion of a particle in a system following a potential energy function of:
U(x)=ax4+bx3+cx + d
and total energy of E=3
I know the values of a, b, c and d.

Homework Equations

Etotal=U(x)+Ekin

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can the turning points are where speed is zero, and therefore kinetic energy is zero, so:
Etotal-U(x)=0 represents the boundary values of x.
So
3=ax4+bx3+cx + d
I've graphed the functions and can see the rough value of x which corresponds to the region of motion, but I need to provide an exact answer. I am not expected to solve quartic equations, so there must be a way of simplifying the potential energy function. I could differentiate it, but that's not really the solution I'm after. I could extract the factor of x (passing d over to the other side) but I don't know if I can remove the case where x=0.
Any help much appreciated
Thanks

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
unfortunately i think you have to solve the quartic 3=ax4+bx3+cx + d

what are the values of abcd? that might simplify things

Thanks for your answer.
I was a bit wary about posting exact values, as this is a coursework question and I don't want to get in trouble with my course tutors. Can you think of any situations where a quartic equation like this could be simplified using some physics assumptions? (I should state that there is no x term, it was a typo, it should be cx2)
I know of some examples where you can set the equation to 0, then take a factor of x outside brackets and then solve the equation inside the brackets, but I've only seen it for cubic equations, and it doesn't seem to work for this equation as the value isn't 0.

Basically, I'm not at a level where I can solve quartic equations, and my tutors have already indicated that it's not necessary, so I guess I'm missing some basic assumption about the system.

Any help greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll just graph the function and read the values off that, but it won't be the algebraic solution they were after.
Thanks

it would simplify a heap if d = 3...

but without seeing it i don't have any general tips besides what you've already mentioned

Ok, well thanks for your help anyway.

I can make the equation

0 = ax4+bx3+cx2+e

but unfortunately a, b, c and e are all non-zero.
I'll try playing around with them and see if they factorise.
Thanks again

1. What is the Region of Motion?

The Region of Motion is the range of values for the independent variable (x) where the equation U(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d with a fixed energy value of E=3 has physically meaningful solutions. In other words, it is the range of values for x where the object described by the equation can actually move.

2. How is the Region of Motion determined?

The Region of Motion is determined by finding the roots of the equation U(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d - E, where E=3. These roots represent the values of x where the energy of the system is equal to the potential energy described by the equation. The values of x within this range are the Region of Motion.

3. Can the Region of Motion be negative?

Yes, the Region of Motion can be negative if the equation U(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d has negative roots within the range of x values where the energy is equal to E=3. This means that the object can have a negative displacement within the allowed range of motion.

4. How does the value of energy (E) affect the Region of Motion?

The value of energy (E) affects the Region of Motion by changing the range of x values where the equation U(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d has physically meaningful solutions. As the value of E increases, the Region of Motion may also increase, allowing for a larger range of motion for the object described by the equation.

5. Can the Region of Motion change over time?

Yes, the Region of Motion can change over time if the values of a, b, c, and d in the equation U(x) = ax^4 + bx^3 + cx + d change. This means that as the parameters of the equation change, the range of x values where the object can physically move may also change, altering the Region of Motion.