Related Rate Problem involving Theta

• Thread starter titusrevised
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate Theta
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the rate of change of the angle of elevation of a balloon rising at a specific rate from a point on the ground. The attempted solution involved differentiating tanX = h/60, but the correct approach was to differentiate with respect to time and use the fact that x is a constant. The final answer is approximately 0.114 radians/second.
titusrevised

Homework Statement

A balloon rises at the rate of 8 ft/s from a point on the ground 60 feet from an observer. Find the rate of change of the angle of elevation when the balloon is 25 feet above the ground.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried several times and erased...
but...
I tried d/dt 'ing tanX = h/60 and solving for dx/dt but that gave me a number way off from the answer.
I get (secX)^2 * dx/dt = 8/60 (because dh/dt = 8)

The answer is supposed to be about .114 radians/second.

EDIT: I solved it myself, finally...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got it myself. Finally...

For these related rate questions you shouldn't sub in the numbers given to you until after you differentiate

suppose the distance between observer and the point on the ground is x and the height of hte balloon and is y, then

[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

now differentiate with respect to time
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\tan\theta)=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex]

when you differentiate theta and y keep in mind that you have differentiate implicitly, so you will end up with terms like dy/dt or [itex]d\theta/dt[/itex]
also x is a constant so you need not both about differentiating x with respect to t.

Hope this helps

FAQ: Related Rate Problem involving Theta

What is a "Related Rate Problem involving Theta"?

A "Related Rate Problem involving Theta" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of an angle (represented by the Greek letter theta) in relation to the rate of change of another variable. These types of problems typically involve trigonometric functions and require the use of the chain rule to solve.

How do I solve a "Related Rate Problem involving Theta"?

To solve a "Related Rate Problem involving Theta," you will need to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the chain rule to differentiate the equation with respect to time. After setting up the equation, you can solve for the unknown rate of change by plugging in the given values.

What are some real-life applications of "Related Rate Problem involving Theta"?

"Related Rate Problem involving Theta" can be used to solve real-life problems such as finding the rate of change of the angle of elevation of a plane, the speed of a moving object at a given angle, or the rate of change of the area of a sector of a circle.

What are some tips for solving "Related Rate Problem involving Theta"?

Here are some tips for solving "Related Rate Problem involving Theta":

• Draw a diagram to visualize the problem and label the given and unknown variables.
  • Use the chain rule to differentiate the equation with respect to time.
  • Pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.
  • Double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

Are there any common mistakes when solving "Related Rate Problem involving Theta"?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving "Related Rate Problem involving Theta" include:

• Forgetting to use the chain rule when differentiating.
  • Not labeling the variables correctly.
  • Using the wrong units or forgetting to convert units when necessary.
  • Not double-checking calculations for errors.