Relationship between a given volume for a cylinder and the minimum surface area.

In summary, the relationship between volume and surface area for a cylindrical container is dependent on the height and radius.
stevie :)
I currently have a question that i am struggling with it is:

Propose a mathematical model in the form of an equation desribing, in general terms, the relationship between a given volume for a cylindrical container and the minimum surface area of material required to make it..

i am struggling with understanding this and actually defining an equation. please some assistance with this topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could write down the expressions for the volume V and the area A (both dependent on r and h), and work out V / A.

Edit: so you can get an equation of the form V = k A, where k is some coefficient dependent on r and h, and thus you have a relation V = V(A) which expresses the volume in terms of the area.

ok just with that 1st comment i don't really understand that... could you show me how to work that out using r and h

If I got your question right, it doesn't really make any sense. Let's say you have a given volume of a cylinder, V. For this volume the surface (i.e. the material surface of the cylinder) is unique. What I meant (if this was your question) was to find how many surface of material you need for a certain volume, i.e. a relation between the volume and material needed to build it.

radou said:
If I got your question right, it doesn't really make any sense. Let's say you have a given volume of a cylinder, V. For this volume the surface (i.e. the material surface of the cylinder) is unique. What I meant (if this was your question) was to find how many surface of material you need for a certain volume, i.e. a relation between the volume and material needed to build it.
That's not true. Both Volume and surface area of a cylinder depend on the height and radius: [itex]V= \pi r^2 h[/itex] and [itex]S= 2\pi rh+ 2\pi r^2[/itex]. There will be different values of r and h which give the same volume but different surface areas.

With fixed V, [itex]h= V/(\pi r^2)[/itex] so the surface area is [itex]S= (2\pi r)(V/(\pi r^2))+ 2\pi r^2= 2V/r+ 2\pi r^2[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to r and set the derivative equal to 0 to find the minimum surface are for a given volume.

(Since this whole thread has nothing to do with "differential equations", I am moving it to "Calculus".)

ok sorry bout putting in the wrong place...

i think what the question is asking is for any volume, like a general relationship that works for any volume and will give the minimum surface area for that volume...

HallsofIvy said:
That's not true. Both Volume and surface area of a cylinder depend on the height and radius: [itex]V= \pi r^2 h[/itex] and [itex]S= 2\pi rh+ 2\pi r^2[/itex]. There will be different values of r and h which give the same volume but different surface areas.

With fixed V, [itex]h= V/(\pi r^2)[/itex] so the surface area is [itex]S= (2\pi r)(V/(\pi r^2))+ 2\pi r^2= 2V/r+ 2\pi r^2[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to r and set the derivative equal to 0 to find the minimum surface are for a given volume.

(Since this whole thread has nothing to do with "differential equations", I am moving it to "Calculus".)

but by differentiating A = 2V/r+ 2\pi r^2 with respect to r doesn't that simply give you a value for a minimum radius of the container after you set it = 0?

volume and surface area relationship

Homework Statement

Propose a mathematical model in the form of an equation desribing, in general terms, the relationship between a given volume for a cylindrical container and the minimum surface area of material required to make it..

Homework Equations

v=pi*r^2*h
a=2*pi*r*h + 2*pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

\

we are asked to find a general equation that works for any given volume and will define the minimum surface area for that volume...

no attempt as yet

(two threads merged)

Stevie -- you need to try harder. We do not do your homework or schoolwork for you here. We are here to help as you work through the problem.

that's what I am asking for... i don't understand how to find the relationship between any given volume and the minimum surface area so I'm asking for some assistance to get it started

(Halls, thanks - my apologies to Stevie for eventual misguide)

1. How does the volume of a cylinder affect its surface area?

The volume of a cylinder has a direct impact on its surface area. As the volume increases, the surface area also increases. This is because a larger volume means a larger amount of material is needed to create the cylinder, resulting in a larger surface area.

2. Is there a specific relationship between the volume and surface area of a cylinder?

Yes, there is a specific relationship between the volume and surface area of a cylinder. This relationship can be expressed mathematically as: Surface Area = 2πr² + 2πrh, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height. This formula shows that the surface area is directly proportional to the volume.

3. How does changing the height of a cylinder affect its surface area?

If the radius of the cylinder remains constant, then increasing the height will also increase the surface area. This is because a taller cylinder requires more material to create, resulting in a larger surface area. However, if the volume of the cylinder remains constant, then changing the height will have no effect on the surface area.

4. What is the minimum surface area for a given volume of a cylinder?

The minimum surface area for a given volume of a cylinder can be calculated by using the formula: Surface Area = 2πr² + 2πrh. This formula can be rearranged to find the minimum surface area by taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. The resulting equation will give the minimum surface area for a given volume.

5. Can the volume and surface area of a cylinder be equal?

No, the volume and surface area of a cylinder cannot be equal. This is because the volume is a measure of the amount of space enclosed by the cylinder, while the surface area is a measure of the outer surface of the cylinder. The two values can be proportional to each other, but they cannot be equal.