Relationship between Pressure and volume with Air

In summary, the question is asking for the pressure in a box where a perfect machine is pushing out 600CFM of air while another machine is consuming 300CFM. The area of the box is assumed to be 360in3. The temperature is assumed to be 310K. To calculate the pressure, the ideal gas law is used, assuming a steady state where the rate of air entering is equal to the rate of air leaving. However, this can become more complex if other conditions, such as heat input/output, are considered.
teknicalissue
Hey guys!

So the below question might sound like a homework question but in reality it is an oversimplified explanation of what I'm trying to measure

Let's say we have a perfect machine that pushes out 600CFM into a box. On the other end of the box is another small machine that only consumes 300CFM from the box.

What is the pressure in the box? and how do I calculate that? I've looked into Boyles Law and something just doesn't seem right about the results I'm getting so I'm trying to make sure that this is the right law I should be looking into.

If you need area of the box then let's assume it is 360in3

Thanks for lending a hand!

Engineering news on Phys.org
teknicalissue said:
Hey guys!

So the below question might sound like a homework question but in reality it is an oversimplified explanation of what I'm trying to measure

Let's say we have a perfect machine that pushes out 600CFM into a box. On the other end of the box is another small machine that only consumes 300CFM from the box.

What is the pressure in the box? and how do I calculate that? I've looked into Boyles Law and something just doesn't seem right about the results I'm getting so I'm trying to make sure that this is the right law I should be looking into.

If you need area of the box then let's assume it is 360in3

Thanks for lending a hand!
You will have to mention the temperature as well.

benny_91 said:
You will have to mention the temperature as well.
For the sake of this experiment let's assume 310K

You are aware that the number of moles of gas in the box is changing with time, correct?

Hello,

This is a relatively new concept for me so I apologize if I don't understand something. I did not know that the moles of gas would change in time, is this because of the temperature increase that occurs over time? I'm trying to find a good example of how I can measure this so does this mean I would have to provide time? How about we say that this system is running for 5 seconds straight.

teknicalissue said:
Hello,

This is a relatively new concept for me so I apologize if I don't understand something. I did not know that the moles of gas would change in time, is this because of the temperature increase that occurs over time?
No. It is because more mass of air is entering than leaving.
I'm trying to find a good example of how I can measure this so does this mean I would have to provide time? How about we say that this system is running for 5 seconds straight.
You're missing much more important information than that. If you don't specify the inlet density of the air, we can't determine the rate of air mass entering. Giving the CFM of air does not specify the mass flow rate.

For the density of air, let's use 0.069 pound/ft2 of air.

Thanks again!

OK. Let's assume that the temperature is constant at 70 F. Then, if p is the pressure in the tank (psi), the number of lb-moles of air in the tank at any time is:
$$m=\frac{pV}{RT}$$where V is the volume of the tank (ft^3), T = 491.7 +70 = 561.7 Rankine, and R is the universal gas constant (10.73 ##\frac{psi\ ft^3}{R\ lb_{mole} }##). The rate of air entering the tank is 41.4 ##lb_m/min##=1.43 ##lb_{mole}/min##. The molar density of the air in the tank is m/V. The rate at which moles of air exit the tank is 300 m/V. So, from a mass balance on the air in the tank, $$\frac{dm}{dt}=1.43-300m/V$$, where t is measured in minutes. So, just solve this differential equation for the moles as a function of time, and then calculate the corresponding pressure.

Likes bsheikho
Thank you for your help!

Chestermiller said:
You are aware that the number of moles of gas in the box is changing with time, correct?

Chestermiller said:
No. It is because more mass of air is entering than leaving.

I kind of disagree with that. The problem states that more volume of air is entering than leaving, not mass. Therefore we should assume that a steady state will be reached where ##\dot{m}_{in} =\dot{m}_{out}##, or:
[tex]\rho_{in}\dot{V}_{in} = \rho_{box}\dot{V}_{out}[/tex]
And if we assume that the temperature within the box is maintain to a pre-determined value, then:
[tex]p_{box} = \rho_{box}RT_{box} = \rho_{in}\frac{\dot{V}_{in}}{\dot{V}_{out}}RT_{box}[/tex]
With the given data (0.069 lb/ft³ = 1.1053 kg/m³; 600 CFM; 300 CFM; 287 J/kg/K; 310 K), we get a steady-state pressure of 196.7 kPa or 28.5 psi.

Of course, this can become more complex if we assume different conditions, such as no heat input/output from the box (so we have to find the final temperature within the box).

Likes teknicalissue
I thought about this too but as I said before I'm not expert. I think this is right on the dot on what I'm looking for. Thank you for replying!

@jack action Can you help me understand the formula a little better? as I said before, this is not a school thing and I'm trying the best I can to remember (and research) this.

To be more specific, how would you order the variables to equate 28.5 PSI? I know you provided the formula but I am unable to connect the variables to it.

Maybe something like:

P=14.7
T=344K

Etc etc

Last edited:
jack action said:
I kind of disagree with that. The problem states that more volume of air is entering than leaving, not mass. Therefore we should assume that a steady state will be reached where ##\dot{m}_{in} =\dot{m}_{out}##, or:
[tex]\rho_{in}\dot{V}_{in} = \rho_{box}\dot{V}_{out}[/tex]
And if we assume that the temperature within the box is maintain to a pre-determined value, then:
[tex]p_{box} = \rho_{box}RT_{box} = \rho_{in}\frac{\dot{V}_{in}}{\dot{V}_{out}}RT_{box}[/tex]
With the given data (0.069 lb/ft³ = 1.1053 kg/m³; 600 CFM; 300 CFM; 287 J/kg/K; 310 K), we get a steady-state pressure of 196.7 kPa or 28.5 psi.

Of course, this can become more complex if we assume different conditions, such as no heat input/output from the box (so we have to find the final temperature within the box).
This sounds reasonable, but, of course, as you said, it all depends on the energy balance. My original impression was that this system is significantly underspecified by the OP. That impression hasn't changed.

Likes jack action
teknicalissue said:
To be more specific, how would you order the variables to equate 28.5 PSI?
##\rho_{in}## = 1.1053 kg/m³;
##\dot{V}_{in}## = 600 CFM;
##\dot{V}_{out}## = 300 CFM;
##R## = 287 J/kg/K;
##T_{box}## = 310 K;
Putting those numbers in the equation gives ##p_{box}## = 196 677.082 Pa which you can convert to 196.7 kPa by dividing it by 1000 or to 28.5 psi by dividing it by 6894.757.

Likes teknicalissue
jack action said:
##\rho_{in}## = 1.1053 kg/m³;
##\dot{V}_{in}## = 600 CFM;
##\dot{V}_{out}## = 300 CFM;
##R## = 287 J/kg/K;
##T_{box}## = 310 K;
Putting those numbers in the equation gives ##p_{box}## = 196 677.082 Pa which you can convert to 196.7 kPa by dividing it by 1000 or to 28.5 psi by dividing it by 6894.757.

You rock! Thank you so much for this!

@jack action

So I'm trying to plug the numbers in but I might be missing something. Can you check my math below?

X = ρbox * 287 * 310 = 1.1053* (600/300) * 287 * 310

Where do you find the value for ρbox?

Sorry for being so dense.. It's really embarrassing on how much of this stuff I've forgotten!

Nevermind! I was able to figure it out!

What is the relationship between pressure and volume with air?

The relationship between pressure and volume with air is described by Boyle's Law, which states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, its pressure increases, and vice versa.

How does changing the volume of air affect its pressure?

Changing the volume of air affects its pressure because the gas molecules are confined in a smaller space, resulting in a greater number of collisions with the walls of the container. This increases the pressure exerted by the gas on the container walls.

What units are used to measure pressure and volume?

Pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), or millimeters of mercury (mmHg). Volume is usually measured in units of cubic meters (m3), liters (L), or milliliters (mL).

Can pressure and volume of air be changed independently?

Yes, pressure and volume of air can be changed independently as long as temperature remains constant. This is known as Boyle's Law and is used to describe the relationship between pressure and volume in a gas.

How does the temperature of air affect the relationship between pressure and volume?

The temperature of air affects the relationship between pressure and volume by changing the kinetic energy of the gas molecules. As temperature increases, the gas molecules move faster and collide with the container walls more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure. This is described by the Ideal Gas Law, which states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature.