Relationship between the solution convergence and boundary conditions

In summary, an algorithm designed to solve atomic structure boundary conditions can experience convergence problems. It is important to describe the problem in detail to receive help.
reguieg yssaad
Homework Statement
I want to solve the non lineaire equation using iterative calculation
Relevant Equations
[K]{u}={F}
I create an algorithm that can solve [K]{u}={F} for atomic structure, but the results are not converge
  • Do the boundary conditions affect the convergence of the resolution of a system of nonlinear partial equations?
  • And how to know if the solution is diverged because of the boundary conditions?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at your post and can't make sense of what you write. Could you be a bit more elaborate ? Our telepathic capabilities are rather limited. Perhaps not everybody can immediately understand what you mean with K, u and F.

You experience convergence problems, which is not uncommon (been there, done that thousands of times). The quality of help you get depends on the quality of your description. What equations ? What software ? What algorithm ? What boundary conditions ? What crashes specifically ?

reguieg yssaad said:
I create an algorithm that can solve
Why ? Aren't there zillions of solvers around aleady ?

BvU said:
I looked at your post and can't make sense of what you write. Could you be a bit more elaborate ? Our telepathic capabilities are rather limited. Perhaps not everybody can immediately understand what you mean with K, u and F.

You experience convergence problems, which is not uncommon (been there, done that thousands of times). The quality of help you get depends on the quality of your description. What equations ? What software ? What algorithm ? What boundary conditions ? What crashes specifically ?

Why ? Aren't there zillions of solvers around aleady ?

This problem is found in finite element method.
In other words, Which of the following causes divergence of results :
- node coordinates
- boundary conditions
What are the tricks used to avoid these problems?

Does that answer any of my questions ?
  1. What equations ?
  2. What software ?
  3. What algorithm ?
  4. What boundary conditions ?
  5. What crashes specifically ?
  6. Why develop your own algorithm ? Aren't there zillions of solvers around aleady ?
Asking for tricks is rather futile at this point. It isn't magic, it's math ...

--

1. How do boundary conditions affect solution convergence?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior and convergence of a solution. They define the limits and constraints of the problem being solved and can greatly impact the accuracy and stability of the solution.

2. What are some common boundary conditions used in solving equations?

Some common boundary conditions include Dirichlet boundary conditions, which specify the value of the solution at a given boundary, and Neumann boundary conditions, which specify the derivative of the solution at a boundary. Other types include periodic, Robin, and mixed boundary conditions.

3. Can improper boundary conditions lead to non-convergence of the solution?

Yes, improper or inconsistent boundary conditions can lead to non-convergence of the solution. This can happen if the boundary conditions are not compatible with the equations being solved, or if they are not specified with enough precision.

4. How can one ensure that the boundary conditions are appropriate for a given problem?

The best way to ensure appropriate boundary conditions is to carefully analyze the problem being solved and choose boundary conditions that are consistent with the equations and accurately reflect the physical conditions of the problem. It is also important to check for compatibility and consistency between the boundary conditions and the equations being solved.

5. Are there any techniques or methods for improving solution convergence through boundary conditions?

Yes, there are techniques such as relaxation methods and adaptive mesh refinement that can help improve solution convergence through boundary conditions. These methods involve adjusting the boundary conditions during the solution process to optimize the convergence rate and accuracy of the solution.