Relationship between velocity ratio and dynamic displacement in sinusoidual vibration

In summary, the student is seeking help from a lecturer to understand a Single Degree of Freedom with Base Excitation problem. They are correct in that the relationship of the ratios of the amplitudes of the displacements is the SAME as that of the amplitude of velocities.
alchemist

Homework Statement

I am asked to provide an anti vibrational support mount for equipment mounted on turbo-prop aircraft. The equipment has a mass of 40kg.
the vibrational response of the equipment to the environmental disturbances will need ot satisfy a safety limit prescribed by the customer.
the performance of the vibration isolation system will be tested using transducers that measure velocity of the vibration as shown:

Homework Equations

amplitude of Velocity of equipment/amplitude of Velocity of support structure = k,

where k must lie below a certain limit for a given frequency of operation.

I have been given an equation that relates

amplitude of Displacement of equipment(X)/ amplitude of displacement of support structure(Y)

which is the displacement transmissibility Td,
where the equation is Td = (k + jwc)/(k-mw^2 + jwc)
where k is stiffness, c is the damping constant, m is the mass and w is the frequency of operation and j is the complex component.

The Attempt at a Solution

i would deem this question to be a Single Degree of Freedom with Base Excitation, as we would only consider motion in vertical direction here (given in question)

i just need help to affirm that the relationship of the ratio of the amplitudes of the displacements is the SAME as that as the ratio of the amplitude of velocities.

by considering y(t) to be base excitation and x(t) to be the response, both y(t) and x(t) have the same frequency and a phase lag in between.

using complex algebra to represent this ,

we have x(t) =Xe^jwt , xdot(t) = jwXe^jwt
and y(t) = Ye^jwt, ydot(t) = jwYe^jwt

hence from here, we can tell that the ratios of displacements and velocities are the same.

Am i right here? or have i over simplified things and i have missed out something?

Physics news on Phys.org

You're well on the right track there...

Uni of manchester student by any chance? =P

your_lecturer said:
You're well on the right track there...

Uni of manchester student by any chance? =P

HAHAHA! This is the first time I come across something like this here :smile:

Thank you lecturer!

lol, is this considered cheating if i ask such a question over here?

well, yea, i am studying in university of manchester now, do you happen to be my Dynamics lecturer?? Now this is pretty amazing =))

Related to Relationship between velocity ratio and dynamic displacement in sinusoidual vibration

What is the relationship between velocity ratio and dynamic displacement in sinusoidal vibration?

The velocity ratio and dynamic displacement in sinusoidal vibration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the velocity ratio increases, the dynamic displacement also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be represented by the equation: Dynamic Displacement = Velocity Ratio x Amplitude of Vibration.

How does the velocity ratio affect the dynamic displacement in sinusoidal vibration?

The velocity ratio is a measure of the speed at which the vibrating object is moving in relation to its natural frequency. A higher velocity ratio means that the object is moving faster, which results in a larger dynamic displacement. In other words, the higher the velocity ratio, the greater the amplitude of vibration.

Does the relationship between velocity ratio and dynamic displacement hold true for all types of vibrations?

Yes, the relationship between velocity ratio and dynamic displacement is a fundamental principle in the field of vibration analysis and is applicable to all types of vibrations, including sinusoidal, random, and transient vibrations.

Can the velocity ratio and dynamic displacement be used to predict the behavior of a vibrating system?

Yes, by knowing the velocity ratio and dynamic displacement, it is possible to predict the response of a vibrating system. This information can be used to design and optimize systems to reduce vibrations and prevent potential failures.

How can the velocity ratio and dynamic displacement be measured in real-world systems?

There are various methods for measuring the velocity ratio and dynamic displacement in real-world systems, including using accelerometers, velocity transducers, and displacement sensors. These measurements can then be used to calculate the velocity ratio and dynamic displacement using the appropriate equations.