Relationship between voltage and distance between light bulb and solar cell

In summary, the experiment involves shining a lamp at a solar cell and measuring the voltage using a multimeter. The independent variable is the distance between the light bulb and solar cell, while the dependent variable is the voltage. The relationship between the two is that voltage is proportional to 1/4πr2, where r is the distance between the solar cell and light bulb. To prove this, adjustments can be made to the graph by either adjusting the measured voltage or the distance. The intensity of the light, which is proportional to the voltage measured on the meter, is dependent on the power of the lamp and the distance between the light bulb and solar cell.
Nash4Lyf
School experiment:

Shine lamp at a solar cell, and measure the voltage using a multimeter.
Independent variable is the distance between the light bulb and solar cell, dependent variable is the voltage.
What is the relationship between the two? And how exactly do I prove it?

What I have is: since Power decreases as Distance increases, and the bulb is spherical, then Power is proportional to 1/[4 pi (r squared)], r being the distance between the solar cell and light bulb. Also, since Power is IV, and we assume current is constant in this case (?), then V is proportional to 1/[4 pi (r squared)].

Also I have to make adjustments to my graph to make it a straight line; for this, do I have to adjust the one I measure (ie voltage) or do I have a choice of which to adjust (distance or voltage)

Thank you to whoever responds :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Nash4Lyf! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Nash4Lyf said:
What I have is: since Power decreases as Distance increases, and the bulb is spherical, then Power is proportional to 1/[4 pi (r squared)], r being the distance between the solar cell and light bulb.

That looks right. :smile:
Also, since Power is IV, and we assume current is constant in this case (?), then V is proportional to 1/[4 pi (r squared)].

You're confusing the two Vs … the V inside the bulb does have P = IV = V2/R, but that V is fixed … the V in the meter is the one you're measuring, and that depends on the intensity of the light, not on current. :wink:
Also I have to make adjustments to my graph to make it a straight line; for this, do I have to adjust the one I measure (ie voltage) or do I have a choice of which to adjust (distance or voltage)

Either … choose whichever is simplest (I'd go for the one where the slope is the constant you're actually trying to find). :wink:

tiny-tim said:
You're confusing the two Vs … the V inside the bulb does have P = IV = V2/R, but that V is fixed … the V in the meter is the one you're measuring, and that depends on the intensity of the light, not on current. :wink:

Thank you for replying. I understand my mistake with confusing the two V's now.
Since you said voltage depends on the intensity of the light, I thought that V is proportional to the intensity. The intensity of the light is P/4πr2, and if the intensity is proportional to V measured on the meter and the power of the lamp stays constant (100W), then that proves the relationship of V is proportional to 1/4πr2. Is what I said correct?

Hi Nash4Lyf! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Nash4Lyf said:
Since you said voltage depends on the intensity of the light, I thought that V is proportional to the intensity. The intensity of the light is P/4πr2, and if the intensity is proportional to V measured on the meter and the power of the lamp stays constant (100W), then that proves the relationship of V is proportional to 1/4πr2. Is what I said correct?

Yes! :smile:

The meter measures the amount of light hitting the solar cell …

and that amount is proportional to 1/r2. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Nash4Lyf! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yes! :smile:

The meter measures the amount of light hitting the solar cell …

and that amount is proportional to 1/r2. :wink:

Thank you very much! I understand it now! :D

What is the relationship between voltage and distance between light bulb and solar cell?

The relationship between voltage and distance between light bulb and solar cell is inverse. This means that as the distance between the light bulb and solar cell increases, the voltage decreases and vice versa. This is because the light intensity decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a decrease in the amount of energy that can be converted into electricity.

How does the distance between light bulb and solar cell affect the voltage?

The distance between light bulb and solar cell directly affects the voltage. As the distance increases, the voltage decreases due to the decrease in light intensity. This is because the solar cell is not receiving enough energy from the light to produce a higher voltage.

What is the ideal distance between light bulb and solar cell for maximum voltage production?

The ideal distance between light bulb and solar cell for maximum voltage production is when the light bulb is placed as close to the solar cell as possible. This ensures that the solar cell receives the maximum amount of light intensity, resulting in a higher voltage output.

What happens if the distance between light bulb and solar cell is too far?

If the distance between light bulb and solar cell is too far, the voltage output will decrease significantly. This is because the solar cell is not receiving enough energy from the light to produce a higher voltage. Additionally, the light may disperse and not reach the solar cell at all, resulting in no voltage production.

Does the material of the solar cell affect the relationship between voltage and distance?

Yes, the material of the solar cell can affect the relationship between voltage and distance. Some materials may have a higher sensitivity to light, resulting in a higher voltage output even at longer distances. Additionally, different materials may have different absorption rates, which can also impact the voltage production at different distances.