1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative momentum, Rest Energy, Kinetic energy and speed of a proton

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    a) A relativistic proton has a momentum of 10x10^-18 kg*m/s. The rest energy of a proton is 0.150nJ. The kinetic energy of the protoon
    b) In this situation the speed of the proton is?

2. E=MC^2
    P= MV/sqroot(1-(v^2/c^2)
    K=[MC^2/ sqroot(1-v^2/c^2)]-[mc^2]

3. The algebra in this problem. First I found the mas of the proton by using its rest mass
    0.150nJ/c^2=1.6x10^-27kg

now I am trying to use the relativistic momentum to find the velocity of the object this is where my algebra is confusing. I see that v is the variable to solve but I can't get the V by itself. can anyone help me with the algebra. I do know since I will b solving for velocity in term of c then the velocity under the square root can be looked at as just v^2 instead of v^2/c^2. Even after that I tried to get rid of the square to get v in in one side and that didn't work becuase the v ended up canceling each other out any ideas on how to do this? Once I find out the velocity the Kenetic energy will be very easy to solve.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, cyugsi2.

v should not cancel out when you square the equation for p. Can you show some of your steps that led to the point where you got v to cancel?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted