Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative speed of tachyons greater than c?

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    I found some interesting task about tachyons:

"Spaceship A sends to spaceship B ( distance between A and B is known)
    a tachyon, when B recives signal, it sends back it immediately. B
    flies away from A with velocity v, and the tachyon moves away with the
    relative velocity V from the spaceship tachyon was sent. What is the
    duration between sending and receiving tachyon by spaceship A on his
    own clock? V>c, v
    I've got problem - how relative velocity can be greater than c?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3
  5. Aug 9, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tachyons is as much as I know, a hypothetical particle that is supposed to travel faster than light. I do not understand quite really what the question is..

6. Aug 9, 2007 #5
    we must count the time
    but I think that the time is zero

7. Aug 9, 2007 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm pretty sure that the point of the question is intended to demonstrate that the tachyon has to be received before it is emitted.

But as written the question is a bit ambiguous, to make the question unambiguous, some frame specifications have to be made.

The assumptions I made were that the tachyon had some V>c as measured in the frame of the emitter. To make things simple, I made V infinite, and drew a space-time diagram. The emitted signal from spaceship A then was along a "line of simultaneity", a horizontal line. The return signal from spaceship B was than along a line of simultaneity of the emitting spaceship, i.e. of spaceship B.

Drawing a space-time diagram of this situation, we can see in this case that the tachyon must be received before it was emitted.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #7
    I'm not very advanced. But how to count the time? And why tachyon must be received before it was emitted ? We do not know his history!

9. Aug 10, 2007 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just as usual, e.g. in accordance with The train-and-platform thought experiment.
    That's because its history is in the future.

Caveat emptor: I am not a physicist.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. Oct 13, 2007 #9
    Is this question taken from Polish Physics Olympiad? Because I can find there very similar one :).
    There is a hint that you should use laws of adding velocities just like it was a normal less-than-c speed.

11. Oct 13, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what a tachyon is? Of course, the velocity of a tachyon, relative to a spaceship (a tardyon) must be greater than c!

12. Oct 13, 2007 #11
    Firstly, I perfectly understand what does the tachyon mean. I won't put the solution of this problem here till Tuesday, because till Monday we have to send the solutions of problems to the organisers of Polish Physics Olympiad.

Secondly, what do you think about tasks which we havo to solve to be accepted to participate Polish Physics Olympiad and Polish Mathematics Olympiad? I think you should be able to tell something about those tasks, as about 90% of threads of menager31 are questions about solutions to those tasks.

13. Oct 13, 2007 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good, I'm glad you know about what "tachyon" means. I guess my question now is, why in the world did you ask "how relative velocity can be greater than c?" That's pretty much the DEFINITION of tachyon isn't it?

14. Oct 13, 2007 #13
    As I see we have a kind of misunderstanding - I didn't ask this question...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?