Relative velocity of a plane question

In summary, the pilot must maintain a velocity of 165.6m/s (N42E) to reach her destination in time, taking into account a wind from the west of 25m/s for the entire flight. This was calculated using a vector triangle and the cosine and sine laws to find the velocity and angle of the plane's travel.
mousemouse123
an aircraft must fly at a velocity of 150m/s[n35e] if there were no wind to reach its destination. a wind from the west of 25m/s is present for the whole flight. calculate the velocity the pilot must maintain to reach her destination in time. i started by finding the velocity of the plane in the east west dimenson. and got 122m/s [e] would i just add this number to 25 to get the right answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mousemouse123! :smile:

you need to draw a vector triangle …

what does it look like? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi mousemouse123! :smile:

you need to draw a vector triangle …

what does it look like? :wink:

gee thanks... i drew a vector triangle already... that's how i got the velocity in the east west direction...:grumpy:

I found that the velocity of the plane to the ground was 165.6m/s (N42E).
I did this using the vector diagram then the cosine law to find the velocity of the plane to the ground, then the sine law to find the angle it travels. :smile:

No, simply adding the velocity in the east-west dimension to the wind speed will not give the correct answer. This is because the wind affects the velocity of the plane in both the east-west and north-south dimensions. To calculate the correct velocity the pilot must maintain, you will need to use vector addition to find the resultant velocity. This can be done by breaking down the velocities into their respective components and then adding them together. Once you have the resultant velocity, you can compare it to the required velocity of 150m/s to determine if the pilot needs to adjust their speed or direction to reach their destination in time.

1. What is relative velocity of a plane?

The relative velocity of a plane is the velocity of the plane in relation to another object, such as the ground or another plane.

2. How is the relative velocity of a plane calculated?

The relative velocity of a plane is calculated by taking into account the velocity of the plane and the velocity of the other object. It is calculated using vector addition, where the velocities are represented by vectors.

3. Why is relative velocity important in aviation?

Relative velocity is important in aviation because it helps pilots determine the speed and direction of their plane in relation to other objects. This is crucial for maintaining safe distances between planes and avoiding collisions.

4. Does the relative velocity of a plane change during flight?

Yes, the relative velocity of a plane can change during flight due to changes in wind speed and direction, changes in the plane's direction or speed, and the movement of other objects in the air.

5. How does the concept of relative velocity apply to the takeoff and landing of a plane?

The concept of relative velocity is important during takeoff and landing because it helps pilots determine the appropriate speed and angle of the plane in relation to the ground. This can affect the distance needed for takeoff and the smoothness of the landing.