What is the Energy Released in a Nuclear Reaction?

In summary, the Homework equation states that when two protons fuse, they release a deuteron, a positron, a neutrino, and some energy. This happens in parallel, and the MeVs released are the same as the number of protons going in.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 8.15.44 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about working on this. What I have tried is this line of reasoning:

1x4He needs 2x3He. 2x3He needs 2x(2H + p)

Energy released is therefore 12.98 + 2(5.51) _+ 2(0.41) = 24.82 MeV.

However, it does seem that there are no p's in the result of the first reaction to stick into the second. Could anyone shed some light on the proper way to go about solving this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proton in the second reaction is gotten from the same pool that provided the two protons in the first reaction. Look at the final result. You have six nucleons coming out so you need six protons going in.

kuruman said:
The proton in the second reaction is gotten from the same pool that provided the two protons in the first reaction. Look at the final result. You have six nucleons coming out so you need six protons going in.
I'm not sure what you mean as I don't know the names of these particles to begin with. Could you analyse the 1st and 2nd reactions as an example?

Before you attempt to use an equation, first you need to understand what the symbols in it mean and second you need to understand what the equation is saying to you and translate that in English. I will tell you the names of the symbols, particles in this case, but you will have to look them up and see what their properties are and what they are made of.
p = proton, 2H = deuteron, e+ = positron, ##\nu## = neutrino, 3He = helium 3 nucleus, 4He = helium 4 nucleus a.k.a. alpha particle, γ = photon.
After you look up these particles, study the reactions and verify that the following are true
1. The number of protons plus neutrons before the reaction is the same as the number of protons plus neutrons after the reaction
2. The total charge before the reaction is the same as the total charge after the reaction

Reaction 1 says that 2 protons fuse and out comes a deuteron, a positron a neutrino and some energy.
Reaction 2 says that the deuteron produced in reaction 1 fuses with a third proton to produce a helium 3 nucleus a photon and some energy

Now imagine two sets of reaction 1 and 2 happening in parallel producing two helium 3 nuclei plus two of all the other stuff. These two fuse together to form an alpha particle, 2 protons, a photon and some energy.

To get to this last stage, consider, overall, what is going in and what is coming out.

kuruman said:
1. The number of protons plus neutrons before the reaction is the same as the number of protons plus neutrons after the reaction
2. The total charge before the reaction is the same as the total charge after the reaction

Reaction 1 says that 2 protons fuse and out comes a deuteron, a positron a neutrino and some energy.
Reaction 2 says that the deuteron produced in reaction 1 fuses with a third proton to produce a helium 3 nucleus a photon and some energy

Now imagine two sets of reaction 1 and 2 happening in parallel producing two helium 3 nuclei plus two of all the other stuff. These two fuse together to form an alpha particle, 2 protons, a photon and some energy.

To get to this last stage, consider, overall, what is going in and what is coming out.

Points 1 and 2. The bottom equation seems to have 4e ----> 4e, which means i need to multiply both the equations by 2, am I right?

Also, could you explain what you mean by "happening in parallel" and how it affects the MeVs released?

Thank you for you patience

Study the picture below. It is worth 1000 words, give or take a few. I have only indicated the protons going in the dashed box where the reaction takes place. It should be easy for you to figure out what I mean by "in parallel" and how much energy and what else comes out of the dashed box.
Fusion.png

1. What is relativistic energy and momentum?

Relativistic energy and momentum are concepts in physics that describe the energy and momentum of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. They take into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How are relativistic energy and momentum related?

In special relativity, energy and momentum are considered to be two components of the same physical quantity, known as the four-momentum. This means that changes in energy can also result in changes in momentum, and vice versa.

3. What is the equation for relativistic energy?

The equation for relativistic energy is E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows the relationship between mass and energy, and demonstrates that energy and mass are interchangeable in special relativity.

4. How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

In classical physics, energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change. However, in special relativity, energy is not conserved in the same way as it is in classical physics. This is because the total energy of a system can change due to changes in the kinetic energy of objects moving at high speeds.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic energy and momentum?

Relativistic energy and momentum have many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to near-light speeds. They are also important in the study of astrophysics, as the high speeds of objects in space require the use of special relativity to accurately describe their energy and momentum.