1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relativistic signal passing

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    I was solving this problem, and I was comparing my answers with a classmate, and we got very different answers. I don't think I made a mistake here, but I may have missed something.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Tipler - Modern Physics 5e 1-57.
    "Two observers agree to test time dilation. They use identical clocks and one observer in frame S' moves with speed v = 0.6c relative to the other observer in frame S. When their origins coincide, they start their clocks. They agree to send a signal when their clocks read 60 min and to send a confirmation signal when each receives the other's signal.

(a) When does the observer in S receive the first signal from the observer in S'

(b) When does he receive the confirmation signal?

(c)Make a table showing the times in S when the observer sent the first signal, received the first signal, and received the confirmation signal. How does this table compare to the one constructed by S?"

[tex]\beta = 0.6[/tex]

[tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \beta^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\gamma\left[\begin{array}{cc}1&-\beta\\-\beta&1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}d\\ct\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{cc}d'\\ct'\end{array}\right][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) The observer in S' sends their first signal at d' = 0,ct'. To find where this is in S we do an inverse 1D Lorentz transform.

[tex]\gamma\left[\begin{array}{cc}1&\beta\\\beta&1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0\\ct'\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{cc}\gamma\beta ct'\\\gamma ct'\end{array}\right][/tex]

This is the point in S when the observer in S' sends the signal. This signal travels at the speed of light in the -d direction until it hits the ct axis.(d = 0)

Thus:

[tex]ct_{light} = -d_{light} = \gamma\beta ct'[/tex]

The total ct is

[tex]ct\ =\ ct_{light} + ct_{hour}\ =\ \gamma\beta ct' + \gamma ct'\ =\ \gamma(1 + \beta)ct'[/tex]

entering
    [tex]\gamma\ =\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - 0.6^{2}}}\ =\ 1.25,\ \beta = 0.6,\ t' = 1\ hr.[/tex]

we get t = 2 hrs.

b)First, we need to find our when S' received the first message. Here we want to transform S --> S', so we use the forward Lorentz transform:

[tex]\gamma\left[\begin{array}{cc}1&-\beta\\-\beta&1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0\\ct\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{cc}-\gamma\beta ct\\\gamma ct\end{array}\right][/tex]

This is the point in S' when the observer in S sends the signal. This signal travels at the speed of light in the d' direction until it hits the ct' axis.(d' = 0)

Thus:

[tex]ct'_{light} = d'_{light} = -(-\gamma\beta ct) = \gamma\beta ct[/tex]

The total ct' is

[tex]ct'\ =\ ct'_{light} + ct'_{hour}\ =\ \gamma\beta ct + \gamma ct\ =\ \gamma(1 + \beta)ct[/tex]

This comes out to t' = 2 hr.

Now we can use the general formula in S for the confirmation pulse:

[tex]ct\ =\ ct_{light} + ct_{hour}\ =\ \gamma\beta ct' + \gamma ct'\ =\ \gamma(1 + \beta)ct'[/tex]

with t' = 2 hrs. we get t = 4 hrs. as the arrival time of the confirmation pulse.

c)
    Time first signal sent: +1 hour.
    Time first signal received: +2 hours.
    Time confirmation received: +4 hours.

The table should be the same with observer S'.

Attached is a Minkowski diagram of the scenario from the perspective of S which seems to confirm my calculations.

My classmate got a bit over 4000 seconds for a) and just over 2 hours for b).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted