Relativistic Velocity Transformations

In summary, the quasar is moving away from the Earth at a speed of 0.850C and emits a proton that reaches Earth at a speed of 0.519C relative to Earth. To calculate the proton's speed relative to the quasar, Lorentz's velocity transformation equations must be used to transform its velocity in Earth's rest frame to the quasar's rest frame, taking into account the signs of the velocities. The final answer cannot be greater than c.
jayjay713
A quasar is moving away from the Earth with a speed of 0.850C. It emits a proton that eventually reaches earth, and is traveling at a speed of 0.519C relative to the earth. How fast is the proton moving relative to the quasar?

Is this answer as simple as it seems?

is the answer simply 0.850 + 0.519 = 1.369C?
i am confused
thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't have a speed greater than c.
In relativity, you must use Lorentz's velocity transformation equations.

but if I used that formula, wouldn't it give me a speed relative to the earth? Or would it be relative to the quasar? :O

jayjay713 said:
but if I used that formula, wouldn't it give me a speed relative to the earth? Or would it be relative to the quasar? :O

Well you know the quasars velocity relative to the Earth and you know the protons velocity relative to the earth. So you know the protons velocity in the Earths rest frame, and you can lorentz transform it into the quasar rest frame using the quasar velocity. Don't forget the signs of the velocities! Post your answer when you have worked it out :)

I can confirm that the answer is not as simple as adding the two velocities together. Relativistic velocity transformations involve using the Lorentz transformation equations, which take into account the effects of time and space dilation at high speeds. In this case, we would need to use the equation v' = (v + u)/(1 + vu/c^2), where v is the velocity of the quasar (0.850C) and u is the velocity of the proton (0.519C). This would give us a relative velocity of approximately 0.913C. It is important to note that this is not a simple addition of velocities and is only valid for velocities much smaller than the speed of light. Relativistic effects become more significant as speeds approach the speed of light. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What are the basic principles of Relativistic Velocity Transformations?

The basic principles of Relativistic Velocity Transformations are based on the theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, regardless of their relative velocities.

2. How do Relativistic Velocity Transformations differ from classical velocity transformations?

Relativistic Velocity Transformations differ from classical velocity transformations in that they take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high velocities, while classical transformations assume that time and space are constant.

3. What is the formula for calculating Relativistic Velocity Transformations?

The formula for calculating Relativistic Velocity Transformations is V' = (V + u) / (1 + V*u/c^2), where V' is the observed velocity, V is the relative velocity between two observers, u is the velocity of the moving frame, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does Relativistic Velocity Transformations affect the perception of time and space at high velocities?

Relativistic Velocity Transformations show that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. At high velocities, time appears to slow down and distances appear to contract for observers in different frames of reference.

5. What practical applications do Relativistic Velocity Transformations have?

Relativistic Velocity Transformations have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where high velocities are involved, and in the development of technologies such as GPS systems, which need to take into account the effects of relativity in order to accurately calculate positions and time. They also have important implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.