Relativity: disagreement between two results

• Thread starter P3X-018
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a particle to pass a moving bar, viewed from two different inertial frames. The first approach uses the time dilation formula to find the time in the lab frame, while the second approach uses the Lorentz transform and the positions of the events to find the time in the bar's frame. Although the two approaches give different results, they are both correct due to the relative nature of simultaneity.
P3X-018
I have this problem, which I think I can solve in 2 ways, but only 1 of them seems to be correct, but I don't understand why the other isn't correct. The problem is as follows:

"A bar with the rest length L_0 moves in its length direction with the velocity v through a lab. A particle moves along the same line but in opposite direction with the same speed v [velocity -v]. How long will it take the particle to pass the bar, [time] mearsured from the lab."

The easy way to do this, is by saying that if L is the length of the bar seen from the lab, then the time the particle will take to pass the bar will be

[tex] T = \frac{L}{2v} = \frac{L_0}{2v\gamma} [/tex]
(this is also the result given in the solutions manual)

But if we look at the situation from the bars reference frame, then the particle will be moving with a velocity

[tex] v' = \frac{2v}{1+v^2/c^2} [/tex]

So the time the particle will take to pass the bar seen from the bars intertial frame will be

[tex] T' = \frac{L_0}{v'} = \frac{L_0(1+v^2/c^2)}{2v} [/tex]

This time T' seen from the lab most be

[tex] T = \gamma T' = \gamma(1+v^2/c^2)\frac{L_0}{2v} [/tex]

But this last result ain't equal to the first one. Why is that so? Where did I make a mistake in my last calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
P3X-018 said:
I have this problem, which I think I can solve in 2 ways, but only 1 of them seems to be correct, but I don't understand why the other isn't correct. The problem is as follows:

"A bar with the rest length L_0 moves in its length direction with the velocity v through a lab. A particle moves along the same line but in opposite direction with the same speed v [velocity -v]. How long will it take the particle to pass the bar, [time] mearsured from the lab."

The easy way to do this, is by saying that if L is the length of the bar seen from the lab, then the time the particle will take to pass the bar will be

[tex] T = \frac{L}{2v} = \frac{L_0}{2v\gamma} [/tex]
(this is also the result given in the solutions manual)

But if we look at the situation from the bars reference frame, then the particle will be moving with a velocity

[tex] v' = \frac{2v}{1+v^2/c^2} [/tex]

So the time the particle will take to pass the bar seen from the bars intertial frame will be

[tex] T' = \frac{L_0}{v'} = \frac{L_0(1+v^2/c^2)}{2v} [/tex]

This time T' seen from the lab most be

[tex] T = \gamma T' = \gamma(1+v^2/c^2)\frac{L_0}{2v} [/tex]

But this last result ain't equal to the first one. Why is that so? Where did I make a mistake in my last calculations?
No mistake. The observers in different inertial systems disagree on when the particle passes the bar. This is an illustration of the relative nature of simultanaeity.

AM

I must say this kept me stumped for a few minutes, but the solution is simple.

You used the time dilation formula to find T ([tex]T=\gamma T'[/tex]), but this you may not do here.
Remember how time dilation can be derived from the Lorentz transform:
[tex]\Delta t=\gamma(\Delta t'+\frac{v}{c^2}\Delta x')[/tex]
For a clock stationary in S' we have [tex]\Delta x'=0[/tex], i.e. two subsequent ticks of the clock occur at the same location in S'. However, the positions of the events also play a role in determining the time interval between the events in S.

Let's say event 1 is that the particle crosses the front of the bar and event 2 is when it crosses the back end of the bar. Then [tex]\Delta x'=-L_0[/tex] and [tex]\Delta t'=\frac{L_0}{2v}(1+v^2/c^2)[/tex]

Plug that into the Lorentz transform above and you get the same answer.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of relativity in science?

Relativity is a concept in physics that refers to the idea that physical laws and measurements are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that an event or measurement may appear different to two observers who are in different frames of reference.

2. How does relativity explain the disagreement between two results?

According to the theory of relativity, time, space, and mass are all relative and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the results of an experiment can vary depending on the observer's perspective, leading to disagreements between two results.

3. What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

4. How did Albert Einstein contribute to the understanding of relativity?

Albert Einstein is credited with developing the theory of relativity in the early 20th century. His famous equation, E=mc², is a fundamental concept in both special and general relativity and explains the relationship between energy and mass.

5. What are some practical applications of relativity?

Some practical applications of relativity include the Global Positioning System (GPS), which uses the principles of relativity to accurately determine the location of objects on Earth. Relativity also plays a crucial role in modern physics and has helped scientists better understand the behavior of particles in the universe.