Relativity Events | Homework Help

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but was not able to do so due to inconsistencies in his reasoning.
seto6

Homework Statement

15z32f7.jpg

Homework Equations

no equations needed b/c its a conceptual question.

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempts..

A) the earliest it can occur and can only be connected by speed of light there t2= 1200/3*108=4*10-6..

B) yes it can because event(E0) occurred 1micro sec before event E1, there E0 could trigger event E1

I'm partly sure I'm correct but i need someone to verify..

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning and answer to part A is correct, but it's not consistent with your answer to B. Can you see why? It's not enough that one event occur before another for them to be causally related.

what you say is true, but I am not sure how to explain if it is or not.. any other hits you can throw at me?

Think "light cone."

light cone ummm... heard of it but not sure could you expand on it.. is it like without the past there is no present ...something like that?

really having a hard time with this :/

if event 0 happened (-4000m, -1μs) away from event 1, how fast must information between these events have traveled for event 0 to cause event 1? Is this possible?

well if its -4000m away and the fastest it can get to event 1 is like...-4000m/3*108 m/s=-1.33...*10-5= so... event 0 occurred at t=-1μs and the information would take -1.33...*10-5 sec to get to event 1.. so event one would see as if it occurred at -1μs + -1.33...*10-5=-12.3μs..

edit: not getting the concept somewhere...

A) if we do -4000/-1μs= 4*10^9 m/s.. which does not make any sence...

B) I am confused on the part now...(-4000m,-1μs)... they refer to the part at the instance explosion took place.so.. doing part A would not make any sense ..

Your calculation in part A) is correct.

For A to cause B some kind of information must be send from A to B.

A-------->------------------------B

Like you calculated, if the information has 1μs to traverse 4000m, it has to move at 4*10^9 m/s.
Which is faster then light. Is it possible for information to move this quickly? If not, what does that mean for the causal relation between A and B?

What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative motion.

How does relativity impact our daily lives?

Relativity has many practical applications, such as GPS technology, which relies on precise measurements of time and space. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics and our understanding of the universe.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity expands on this to include non-inertial frames and the effects of gravity. Special relativity is a special case of general relativity.

What are some common misconceptions about relativity?

One common misconception is that relativity only applies to objects traveling at high speeds. In reality, the principles of relativity are present in all aspects of the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

How can I better understand relativity?

To better understand relativity, it is helpful to have a background in advanced mathematics and physics. There are also many resources available, such as books, online courses, and lectures, that can help explain the concepts in more accessible terms.