Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity software package

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know of a good, free special and general relativity software package that would allow me to do things like visualize spacetime warping or length contractions or lightcones?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2
    Could you give some more detailed examples of the typical types of thing you would like to do with the software, please?
  4. Oct 23, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you trying to visualize spacetime diagrams?
    or visualize graphical plots of relevant subspaces?
    or visualize optical effects?
  5. Oct 23, 2007 #4
    I don't really know what the software is capable of. But for a start, it would be nice to visualize spacetime diagrams.
  6. Oct 23, 2007 #5
    I'd like that too. :)
  7. Oct 23, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One package that might be worth looking at is
    which is Java based... and can probably be customized.
    However, there might be some setup required.

For simple viewing and interaction:
    physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIGHTCONE/java/TwinParadox.html (my ancient applet)

There are some other relativity applets around... but they don't draw spacetime diagrams... but rather spatial diagrams, which have some but only limited use.

The visualizations I do are in Python and in Java... but they're not ready for general usage by others [i.e. they work for me to some extent, but isn't friendly enough for others to use for their own purposes yet].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?