Relativity & Sound: Exploring Musical Octaves

In summary, the octave does not fit without certain notes being tuned slightly off. This is due to the fact that the musical octave is a 2:1 frequency ratio and 12 intervals are equal in frequency. The intervals are tuned to make the octave sounds "even" by having notes with a frequency that is a constant ratio to other notes in the octave. This makes certain chords sound funnier, but can be corrected by detuning them slightly.
Lear
Hello! I am new and posting my first post on these forums... so I hope I have posted in the right place for my question.

I should say first that I am not a Physicist, I am a Mathematician. So please keep answers as easy to understand as you can.
I also apologize for the fact that my question will take us into the realms of music theory which many of you will not (nor could you be expected to) understand.

I hope you understand the fact that the musical octave does not fit without certain notes being tuned slightly off? I now remember reading somewhere that Einstein had shown that it was only in our space-time continuum that the octave does not fit (and it is only my guess-work that has linked this with relativity).

Is this indeed correct? and if so, could someone explain how it works please?
I would also be interested to know if there would be any way of finding (even a mathematical basis of) a space-time continuum in which the octave does fit without some notes needing to be tuned off.

Hope you understand what I am on about, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge about physics.

Lear.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lear said:
Hello! I am new and posting my first post on these forums... so I hope I have posted in the right place for my question.

I hope you understand the fact that the musical octave does not fit without certain notes being tuned slightly off? I now remember reading somewhere that Einstein had shown that it was only in our space-time continuum that the octave does not fit (and it is only my guess-work that has linked this with relativity).

Lear.

The accoustic spectrum being (we assume) continuous), any interval can be divided up as we wish. I assume that the the divisions of an octave have a precise mathematical definition giving each note a specific frequency. I think it is the case that there are various methods of tuning within the octave resulting in some notes not having exactly the frequency required by the mathematical definition. The various tunings or divisions are probably a matter of human and cultural preference and practicality.

I don't think the spacetime continuum has any specific or special relevance to the subject.

Matheinste.

Lear said:
The specific method for individual note spacing varies greatly between different systems.

In the most common (western) tuning system, 12 tone equal temperament, the frequency ratio between adjacent notes is exactly the twelfth root of two for each pair of adjacent notes. And the notes fit perfectly in the octave, the frequency ratio between any note and the same note an octave lower is exactly 2.

That's just a human convention, and there are many others, but what do you mean by "octave does not fit" and "tuned slightly off"?

This doesn't have anything to do with the space-time continuum...

The modern "even tempered scale" divides an octave, which is a 2:1 ratio in frequencies, into 12 intervals. The ratio of frequencies in an interval is a constant. Given that there are 12 "intervals" in an octave, with each interval with a constant ratio, I think you can see that this ratio is 2^(1/12)?Unfortunately, this makes certain chords sound funny, unless you detune them slightly, by making one of the notes higher or lower so that the ratio comes out right, which is what you're talking about.

Take an example from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

Consider an interval of 5 of these evenly spaced intervals between an octave. Perfectly tuned using the even tempered scale, that gives frequency a relationship of 1.3348, approximately. But this interval sounds better when the ratio is 4:3, which is 1.333333 exactly.

See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

This gives the equal tempered intervals, and the "just intervals" that they approximate. The example I used is called a perfect fourth.

Harmonics of notes are more musically natural. That is, note frequencies which fit well with other note frequencies, like halves, quarters, thirds. But the way we have dividing the octave into 12 notes is actually slightly out of tune to this.

Apparently violinist will often attempt to play closer to the more natural notes.

As with space-time continuum. Well if time was running at a difference pace, then the frequency of notes would be different. How strings vibrate depends on the types of materials used, the material within the space its vibrating in and its tension. So I suppose sound is time-space dependant, but fitting to an octave is just simple maths.

I have heard from respected piano tuner and builder, that in fact when tuning a piano they purposely of-tune some notes, just slightly, and that is considered as coloring. That is the reason why pianists have favorite tuners, and why pianos are still tuned by ear, not with electronic device. Nothing to do with physics, though.

They tune an octave > 2/1, to make the harmonics match better. Because the strings have a finite diameter and are a bit rigid, the second harmonic is not at double frequency, but a bit higher.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how space and time are intertwined and affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How does relativity apply to sound and musical octaves?

In the context of sound and musical octaves, relativity refers to the phenomenon of pitch perception and how it is influenced by the frequency of sound waves. This can be seen in the concept of musical octaves, where the frequency of a pitch doubles with each octave, but the pitch is perceived as being the same due to the principles of relativity.

3. What role does the speed of sound play in relativity and musical octaves?

The speed of sound is a crucial factor in understanding relativity and musical octaves. The speed of sound is affected by factors such as temperature and density, and these variations can impact the perception of musical octaves and the relationship between pitch and frequency.

4. How does relativity explain the concept of consonance and dissonance in music?

The theory of relativity can help to explain the concept of consonance and dissonance in music. Consonance refers to the harmonious blending of different pitches, while dissonance refers to the lack of harmony between pitches. Relativity helps to explain this by showing how our perception of pitch and sound is influenced by factors such as frequency and amplitude.

5. How has the study of relativity and musical octaves impacted the field of music?

The study of relativity and musical octaves has greatly impacted the field of music. It has provided a deeper understanding of how pitch perception works and has led to the development of new musical instruments and techniques. It has also influenced the way we compose and understand music, leading to new genres and styles that explore the relationships between pitch and frequency in a more complex and nuanced way.