Relativity: Time Dilation and Length Contraction

In summary, Stampy observes two events occurring 15 c·s apart with the second event occurring 17 s after the first. According to Philip, who is moving along Stampy's +x axis at an unknown velocity v, the second event occurs 10 s after the first and the spatial coordinate of the second event is larger than the first. Using the Lorentz factor equation, v is determined to be 0.81c. The spatial distance between the two events for Philip is calculated using length contraction to be 8.8 c·s. All inertial observers must agree on the time-ordering of the events. To determine the proper time between the events, the Lorentz transform for events occurring in different places
SeannyBoi71

Homework Statement

Two events are observed by inertial observer Stampy to occur a spatial distance of 15 c·s apart with the spatial coordinate of the second larger than the spatial coordinate of the first. Stampy also determines that the second event occurred 17 s after the first. According to inertial observer Philip moving along Stampy’s +x axis at unknown velocity v, the second event occurs 10 s after the first. (1 c·s = 1 light-second = unit of distance.)a) Given Philip measures the spatial coordinate of the second event to be larger than the first, determine v.
b) How far apart spatially (in c·s) do the two events occur according to Philip?
c) Does there exist an inertial reference frame v < c in which the second event can occur before the first? Briefly explain in one sentence at most.
d) Inertial observer Kenny observes the proper time between the two events. How fast along Stampy’s +x axis does Kenny move?

Homework Equations

γ=1 / √(1- v2/c2)
Δt=γΔt0
l=l0
(Δs)2 = c2(Δt)2 - (Δx)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have so far worked out all parts but d) and need to check these answers.
a) I took Δt=17 and Δt0=10 so that dividing I could get γ=1.7. Was I right in making the assumption about which time interval was which? The only reasoning I have as to why I did that is because dividing the other way around gives me a number <1. But next I plugged in 1.7 to the Lorentz factor equation and solved for v=0.81c.
b)The formula is called length contraction, and since Phillip is moving relative to Stampy, distances are contracted for him (i.e. are shorter) so I did l=l0/γ = 15cs/1.7=8.8 cs.
c)I calculated that the spacetime invariant > 0 and so the two events are time-like separated, and all observers must agree on the time-ordering.
d) This part confused me. I made the assumption in a) that the proper time was 10 seconds, which is measured by Phillip, which leads me to think I was wrong making that assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you've done it right. In stampy's reference frame, the two events happen in different places. So you can't use the equation Δt=γΔt0. You need to use the more general Lorentz transform for when the events happen in different places and different times.

1. How does time dilation occur in the theory of relativity?

Time dilation occurs in the theory of relativity due to the fact that time is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. As an object's velocity increases, time slows down for that object relative to a stationary observer. This is because the faster an object moves, the more distance it covers in a given amount of time, causing time to appear slower for that object.

2. How does length contraction work in relativity?

Length contraction is a consequence of the theory of relativity that states that objects appear shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a different frame of reference. This is due to the fact that the faster an object moves, the shorter the distance between its two endpoints appears to an observer in a different frame of reference.

3. What is the difference between time dilation and length contraction?

Time dilation and length contraction are two different effects of the theory of relativity that occur due to the relative nature of time and space. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion, while length contraction refers to the shortening of the distance between two points of an object in motion.

4. How does the speed of light play a role in time dilation and length contraction?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity and plays a crucial role in both time dilation and length contraction. According to the theory, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. This means that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, time dilation and length contraction become more significant.

5. How have experiments confirmed the predictions of time dilation and length contraction?

There have been several experiments conducted that have confirmed the predictions of time dilation and length contraction in the theory of relativity. One of the most famous is the Hafele-Keating experiment, which involved atomic clocks being flown around the world in opposite directions and comparing their time to a stationary clock. The results confirmed the predictions of time dilation. Additionally, particle accelerators have also confirmed the predictions of length contraction by observing the behavior of particles moving at high speeds.