1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Releasing a rod tied to a string which was held at an angle

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Find the tension in the right string, when the left string is cut, if the mass of the rod is ##m## and its length is ##l##, and ##\sin \theta = 3/5##. The rod is initially horizontal." Please refer the diagram below (sorry for its clumsiness!).
    PicPhys.png

2. Relevant equations
    $$I_{rod} = \frac{ml^2}{12}$$
    $$\tau _{CM} = I_{rod,CM} \cdot \alpha _{CM}$$ ##\tau## represents torque, CM to denote "in the centre of mass frame", ##\alpha## is the angular acceleration.

The Newton's Laws of Motion.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, only looking at the translational motion of the centre of mass, we get two equations:
    $$ mg - T \sin \theta = ma_x \qquad\text{...(i)}$$
    where ##T## represents the tension in the string and ##a## represents acceleration.
    $$ T \cos \theta = ma_y \qquad \text{...(ii)}$$
    Now, using the rotational dynamics formula,
    $$ T \sin \theta \cdot l = \frac{ml^2}{12} \cdot \alpha \qquad \text{...(iii)} $$
    I have these three equations, which i think are correct. However i doubt my fourth equation:
    $$ a_y - \frac{l\alpha}{2} = a_x \cot \theta \qquad \text{...(iv)}$$
    as acceleration of the point attached to the string, along the string, must be zero. However, on solving them, i get,
    $$T=\frac{mg}{2 \sin \theta - 3 \sin \theta \tan \theta}=\frac{-20mg}{3}$$
    which seems to be wrong (i don't have the correct answer to it). Where am i going wrong? Is the fourth equation really correct? If not, how do i correct it? Please guide me.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your eqn (iv) looks ok, but the use of x and y there (standard) conflicts with your use in earlier equations (non-standard).
    Also, the left hand side of (iii) is out by a factor.

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3
    Ah, i get it now! The first equation should have had ##a_y## and the second, ##a_x## (i did it by mistake). And the 3rd equation should have been:
    $$ T \sin \theta \cdot \frac l2 = \frac{ml^2}{12} \cdot \alpha \qquad \text{...(iii)} $$
    Now the answer comes as:
    $$ T=\frac{mg}{4 \sin \theta + \cos \theta \cot \theta}=\frac{15mg}{52} $$
    Is it correct now?

Thanks again for your help!

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted