Releasing a rod tied to a string which was held at an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a right string when the left string is cut, given the mass and length of a rod and its initial horizontal position. The equations used include Newton's Laws of Motion and rotational dynamics, resulting in finding the tension to be 15mg/52.
FreezingFire

Homework Statement

"Find the tension in the right string, when the left string is cut, if the mass of the rod is ##m## and its length is ##l##, and ##\sin \theta = 3/5##. The rod is initially horizontal." Please refer the diagram below (sorry for its clumsiness!).
PicPhys.png

Homework Equations

$$I_{rod} = \frac{ml^2}{12}$$
$$\tau _{CM} = I_{rod,CM} \cdot \alpha _{CM}$$ ##\tau## represents torque, CM to denote "in the centre of mass frame", ##\alpha## is the angular acceleration.

The Newton's Laws of Motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, only looking at the translational motion of the centre of mass, we get two equations:
$$ mg - T \sin \theta = ma_x \qquad\text{...(i)}$$
where ##T## represents the tension in the string and ##a## represents acceleration.
$$ T \cos \theta = ma_y \qquad \text{...(ii)}$$
Now, using the rotational dynamics formula,
$$ T \sin \theta \cdot l = \frac{ml^2}{12} \cdot \alpha \qquad \text{...(iii)} $$
I have these three equations, which i think are correct. However i doubt my fourth equation:
$$ a_y - \frac{l\alpha}{2} = a_x \cot \theta \qquad \text{...(iv)}$$
as acceleration of the point attached to the string, along the string, must be zero. However, on solving them, i get,
$$T=\frac{mg}{2 \sin \theta - 3 \sin \theta \tan \theta}=\frac{-20mg}{3}$$
which seems to be wrong (i don't have the correct answer to it). Where am i going wrong? Is the fourth equation really correct? If not, how do i correct it? Please guide me.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your eqn (iv) looks ok, but the use of x and y there (standard) conflicts with your use in earlier equations (non-standard).
Also, the left hand side of (iii) is out by a factor.

Likes FreezingFire
Ah, i get it now! The first equation should have had ##a_y## and the second, ##a_x## (i did it by mistake). And the 3rd equation should have been:
$$ T \sin \theta \cdot \frac l2 = \frac{ml^2}{12} \cdot \alpha \qquad \text{...(iii)} $$
Now the answer comes as:
$$ T=\frac{mg}{4 \sin \theta + \cos \theta \cot \theta}=\frac{15mg}{52} $$
Is it correct now?

Thanks again for your help!

I get the same.

Likes FreezingFire

1. How does the angle at which the string is held affect the release of the rod?

The angle at which the string is held will determine the direction in which the rod will be released. If the string is held at a 45-degree angle, the rod will be released horizontally. However, if the string is held at a 90-degree angle, the rod will be released vertically.

2. What is the role of gravity in the release of the rod tied to a string?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the release of the rod tied to a string. As the string is released, gravity will act on the rod and cause it to fall towards the ground. The angle at which the string is held will determine the direction and speed of the rod's fall.

3. Is the length of the string important in the release of the rod?

Yes, the length of the string will affect the release of the rod. A longer string will allow for a greater distance between the release point and the point where the rod lands, resulting in a longer flight time. A shorter string will result in a shorter flight time.

4. What other factors can affect the release of the rod tied to a string?

Other factors that can affect the release of the rod include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the weight and shape of the rod. These factors can alter the trajectory and speed of the rod's fall.

5. Can the release of the rod tied to a string be predicted accurately?

Yes, the release of the rod can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy using mathematical equations and principles of physics such as Newton's laws of motion. However, external factors such as wind and air resistance may slightly alter the predicted trajectory of the rod.