Releativity and reference frames. Spaceship traveling faster than speed of light?

In summary, the distance from Planet X to a nearby star is 12 Light-Years, and the trip would take about 7 years according to a clock on Planet X. Using the only numbers the problem statement provides so far, I have a distance and a change in time. I end up with a number that is greater than the speed of light.
arp777

Homework Statement

The distance from Planet X to a nearby star is 12 Light-Years (a light year is the distance light travels in 1 year as measured in the rest frame of Planet X).

(A) How fast must a spaceship travel from Planet X to the star in order to reach the star in 7 years according to a clock fixed on the spaceship?

(B) How long would the trip take according to a clock fixed on Planet X?

(C) What is the distance from Planet X to the nearby star, according to an astronaut on the spaceship?

Homework Equations

Time-dilation and length-contraction equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) Using the only numbers the problem statement provides so far, I have a distance, and a change in time. Using the distance between planet x and the star (12 light years) and the time interval (7 years), obviously I end up with a number that is greater than the speed of light. v = (distance)/(time) = 1.713 C

This is my speed bump. I don't believe I can approach the rest of the problem using this as my spaceship's velocity, seeing as all relevant equations become imaginary. I must be missing a key point as far as reference frames go and in getting the appropriate velocity of the spaceship, so what am I doing wrong from get go?

Physics news on Phys.org
arp777 said:
(A) Using the only numbers the problem statement provides so far, I have a distance, and a change in time. Using the distance between planet x and the star (12 light years) and the time interval (7 years), obviously I end up with a number that is greater than the speed of light. v = (distance)/(time) = 1.713 C
Careful. Don't mix distance measured in one frame (the planet X frame) with time measured in a different frame (the spaceship frame).

Give it another shot.

I see. So if I'm thinking solely in the spaceship's rest frame, I use the equation that describes time difference in a moving frame(S') relative to a rest frame (S):

i.e. Δt = [itex]\gamma[/itex]Δt'

and Δt' = L[itex]_{o}[/itex](v/(c^2))

where Δt' = 7 years and v = velocity of the spaceship in it's own rest frame.

Is this correct? It gives me an appropriate answer, being less than C.

Velocity of a spaceship in its own rest frame is always zero. You can either talk about velocity of the ship in frame of Planet X, or velocity of Planet X in frame of the ship. These will be the same except for direction, of course.

While trying to find necessary velocity, the choice of frame is yours. You can either pick Planet X's frame, and say that ship's time is dilated, so 7 years on board will give you longer journey, or you can pick ship's frame and say that distance is contracted and you travel a lot less than 12ly in these 7 years. Either way, when you solve for velocity, you should get the same answer. Might as well check yourself by trying it both ways.

I'm not sure where the factor c^2 comes from in this, "Δt' = Lo(v/(c^2))", but otherwise, you seem to be on the right track for solving this in planet's frame.

arp777 said:
I see. So if I'm thinking solely in the spaceship's rest frame, I use the equation that describes time difference in a moving frame(S') relative to a rest frame (S):

i.e. Δt = [itex]\gamma[/itex]Δt'
Good. Δt will give you the travel time in the planet X frame.

and Δt' = L[itex]_{o}[/itex](v/(c^2))
Wrong formula! That describes the amount of clock desynchronization between clocks in the planet X frame (imagine clocks on planet X and on the star) according to the ship frame. You won't need that.

where Δt' = 7 years and v = velocity of the spaceship in it's own rest frame.
v is the velocity of the spaceship with respect to planet X, and vice versa. (As pointed out, the velocity of the ship in its own frame is of course zero.)

Now write an expression for ship's velocity using only measurements from the planet X frame. (Or planet X's velocity from the ship's frame. Your choice.) Then you can solve for v.

1. What is the concept of relativity and how does it relate to reference frames?

The concept of relativity is the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the laws of physics will appear the same for someone standing still and someone who is moving at a constant velocity. Reference frames are used to describe the perspective from which an observer is viewing a physical event or object. Each reference frame has its own set of measurements and coordinates, but the laws of physics should be consistent across all reference frames.

2. How is time affected in different reference frames?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion. The faster an object is moving, the slower time appears to pass for that object. This is known as time dilation and has been confirmed through experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

3. Can a spaceship travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object to travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the amount of energy needed to accelerate it further becomes infinite. Additionally, as an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation causes it to appear to slow down from an external observer's perspective. Therefore, it is not possible for a spaceship to travel faster than the speed of light.

4. How does relativity affect our understanding of space and time?

The theory of relativity has fundamentally changed our understanding of space and time. It has shown that space and time are not absolute, but rather are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that two observers can experience different measurements of time and space depending on their relative motion. It has also shown that space and time are intertwined and can be thought of as a single entity known as spacetime.

5. How does the concept of relativity apply to everyday life?

The concept of relativity may seem abstract and only applicable to extreme situations, such as objects moving at high speeds. However, it has many practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, GPS systems would not function properly without taking into account the effects of relativity on time. Relativity also plays a role in the functioning of particle accelerators and in the development of technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).