How can I set up remote assistance software without configuring firewall rules?

In summary, this person is trying to setup a way for someone else to remotely help them with their computer, but they run into problems. They first try using a vnc viewer, but it doesn't work. They then try using a different server, but it also doesn't work. They finally figure out the problem and resolve it.
Routaran
Hello,
I'm trying to find a way to allow people to send me remote assistance requests so I can control their computer but without having them first configure firewall rules on their end. The simplest solution seems to be to setup a vnc server on my end, configure my firewall rules appropriately and then have the other end "call me"

From what I have read, this should be fairly simplistic. I'm supposed to just run some kind of vncviewer in listen mode and then the other side simply types in my ip address.
To test, I setup a Windows7 VM on my debian box. Downloaded the UltraVNC viewer on that system. Connectivity and Firewalls aren't the issue. I've temporarily set my IPTABLES default policy to accept and I've killed the firewall service on my windows VM box. Both devices can ping each other.

Then on my debian box, i first tried to use tightvnc
From what I read, the following command is what was supposed to use
Code:
xtightvncviewer -encodings "hextile copyrect" -listen

When i tried to initiate a connection from my windows vm using the VNC viewer in uvnc's single click package.
I supply my debian box's IP address with the default port but the vncviewer simply sits there and indicates that no data is being exchanged between client and server. I am unable to see or control the VM. When I terminate the listener process on my debian box, the windows vm says "other side gracefully closed connection"

Another suggestion I saw was to use the Remote Desktop Viewer application on debian in listen mode. On Debian side, the Remote Desktop Viewer application's window goes dark when I attempt a connection but the result is still the same. The connection window on the VM shows that no data has been exchanged and I cannot control or view the remote system.

I was wondering if there was a guide or an clear explanation on how to get this to work. I would appreciate some help

Cheers,
Routaran

Computer science news on Phys.org
I was able to resolve the problem. Monumentally stupid move on my part.
Normal VNC connections are viewer -> server
reverse VNC connections are server -> viewer -listen

What was I doing?
viewer -> viewer -listen

sigh. Little embarrassing, but it's working correctly now.
This is what I did to get it to work, so others don't make the same mistake I did.

On my debian box
xtightvncviewer -encodings "hextile copyrect" -listen -encoding tight -compresslevel 9 -quality 0

On my windows box, download uVNC Single Click from (http://www.uvnc.com/downloads/single-cl ... loads.html)
I ran winvnc.exe (the server) supplied a different VNC & View-only VNC passwords (you need some password, doesn't matter what)
Then, right click on the VNC tray icon and select add new client. Provide the IP/hostname for your listening box and connect!

Reverse connection established!

Glad you have it working. :)

1. What is remote assistance software?

Remote assistance software is a computer program that allows a user to remotely control and access another computer or device from a different location. This can be useful for troubleshooting technical issues or providing support to someone who is not physically present.

2. How does remote assistance software work?

Remote assistance software works by establishing a connection between two devices over a network, typically the internet. The software on the remote computer sends information to the controlling computer, allowing the user to view the remote screen and control it as if they were sitting in front of it.

3. Is remote assistance software secure?

Most remote assistance software uses encryption and other security measures to protect the connection between the two devices. However, it is important to only use reputable software and to follow best practices for securing the remote session, such as using strong passwords and ending the session once it is no longer needed.

4. What are the benefits of using remote assistance software?

Remote assistance software can save time and money by allowing remote troubleshooting and support, reducing the need for in-person visits. It also allows for more efficient collaboration and communication between team members who may be in different locations.

5. What are some examples of remote assistance software?

Some popular examples of remote assistance software include TeamViewer, AnyDesk, and Remote Desktop Connection. These programs offer similar features but may vary in price, security measures, and compatibility with different operating systems.