Repeating integration by parts

In summary, to solve the integral ∫.5e^(t/50)*sin(t), you can use the method of integration by parts repeatedly until you end up with an equation of the form I = something + (something) I. Then, you can solve for I and substitute it back into the original integral to get the final solution.
cameuth

Homework Statement

integrate .5e^(t/50)*sin(t)

Homework Equations

integration by parts
uv-∫vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

I am currently in differential equations and I remember from cal II that I have to keep using the equation above until the integral loops around, then set it equal to something,... but I'm foggy on what it's equal to. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's call the integral I. When you do integration by parts repeatedly, you eventually end up with

I = stuff + (something) I

At this point, you solve for I.

I believe that you should keep integrating by parts until you end up with something that looks like:

∫.5e^(t/50)*sin(t) = SOMETHING - ∫.5e^(t/50)*sin(t)

then you can add ∫.5e^(t/50)*sin(t) to both sides to get:

2*∫.5e^(t/50)*sin(t) = SOMETHING

so that

∫.5e^(t/50)*sin(t) = (1/2)*SOMETHING

EDIT: vela beat me to it :smile:

thanks. vela helped, and saladsamurai's elaboration was necessary. You guys are lifesavers.

What is "Repeating integration by parts"?

"Repeating integration by parts" is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It involves applying the integration by parts formula multiple times until the integral can be easily evaluated.

When should I use "Repeating integration by parts"?

"Repeating integration by parts" should be used when the integral involves a product of functions and no other substitution or integration technique can be applied.

What is the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du, where u and v are functions of x and du and dv are their respective derivatives.

How many times should I repeat the integration by parts formula?

The number of times you should repeat the integration by parts formula depends on the complexity of the integral. Generally, you should repeat it until the integral becomes easier to evaluate or until you reach a point where you can use another integration technique.

What are some tips for success when using "Repeating integration by parts"?

Some tips for success when using "Repeating integration by parts" include choosing u and dv carefully, using tabular integration for repetitive integrals, and being patient and thorough in your calculations.