Replace solar panels by thermopiles

In summary, the idea proposed is to replace solar panels with thermopiles for street lighting and use sewers as a heat sink. This would eliminate the need for doping and make the process more cost-effective. However, there are potential challenges, such as finding a suitable sewer with enough heat discharge, and the efficiency and cost of thermopiles would have to see significant improvements for this idea to be viable.
chhitiz
i was thinking- how about replacing solar panels by thermopiles for street lighting and using the sewers as a heat sink. they don't have to be doped and so are cheaper. any reason why this idea hasn't been used before?

Science news on Phys.org
chhitiz said:
i was thinking- how about replacing solar panels by thermopiles for street lighting and using the sewers as a heat sink. they don't have to be doped and so are cheaper. any reason why this idea hasn't been used before?

You'd have to have a great sewer. I mean there's this building in downtown Pittsburgh that in the winter you can walk by it and always there is hot steam coming out of the manhole covers on the southwest corner. But other than that I know of no other in Pittsburgh. I'd be willing to bet that in the summer time there is no discharge of heat there though. Oh yes I just read you said for a sink... Herm. In the summertime there's probably a 10 degree difference due to the heat island effect. Again I'll bet it would be picky for the individual sewer. I for one am not keen to go nosing around to find out :) But, I guess if you have the opportunity, go for it :) I'm wondering though, why not just plaster the sink onto the water mains? It seems like you'd get a lot more flow at a more stable, cooler temperature. Wouldn't you have to have a pretty huge thermopile to get the kinda wattage (300 I'd guess?) to drive a street light? I mean at night time the heat differential isn't going to be all that superb. The more humid the environment, the more the atmosphere retains the heat from the daytime, so places like east coast, mid west, and south east are in, arizona and southern california are out. If you ever do make some measurements of the heat differential, and then calculate the size of the thermopile you'd need along with the wattage you're going to need for the light, I'd love to hear the results :)

Dan K

The typical efficiency of a thermopile is quite low even in the most desirable temp range. The cost vs output is also quite high. To be viable, both would have to see very large improvements from present art.

1. What are thermopiles and how do they work?

Thermopiles are devices that convert thermal energy into electrical energy. They consist of multiple thermocouples connected in series, which generate a voltage when exposed to a temperature gradient. This is known as the Seebeck effect.

2. How do thermopiles differ from solar panels?

Thermopiles and solar panels both convert energy into electricity, but they use different mechanisms. Solar panels use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity, while thermopiles use temperature differences.

3. Can thermopiles replace solar panels entirely?

No, thermopiles cannot replace solar panels entirely. While they have the potential to generate electricity from sources such as body heat or waste heat, they are not as efficient as solar panels and cannot produce the same amount of energy from sunlight.

4. What are the advantages of using thermopiles over solar panels?

One advantage of thermopiles is that they can generate electricity even in low light or at night, while solar panels require sunlight. Additionally, thermopiles do not rely on expensive and fragile photovoltaic materials, making them potentially more cost-effective in the long run.

5. Are there any limitations to using thermopiles instead of solar panels?

Yes, there are some limitations to using thermopiles over solar panels. Thermopiles are less efficient at converting energy and typically produce lower voltages, which may require additional components for practical use. They also have a limited temperature range and may not be suitable for all environments.