Require help with angular velocity and people flying off the planet!

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is a tad odd as there is no mention of this in my course. I suppose that what you are saying is that when when the centripital acceleration > gravitational acceleration then the person would fly off?
You are supposed to be able to apply your knowledge to a range of problems. In this case you are expected to work out for yourself that condition, using your knowledge of forces.

Likes Merlin3189 and RemotePhysics
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is a tad odd as there is no mention of this in my course. I suppose that what you are saying is that when when the centripital acceleration > gravitational acceleration then the person would fly off?
That's right, though I might say that, when
the force needed to give the required centripetal acceleration > the force provided by gravity
then the person will not be held in a circular path on the surface of the earth.

Changing to refer to accelerations, answers your earlier problem about the person's mass: both forces are proportional to mass, so you cancel the mass from the forces and are left with the accelerations.

Edit: Anyhow, what result do you get when you solve your equation,
centripital acceleration > gravitational acceleration

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban