Exploring Research: What it Is and What it Means

In summary, research is a process of understanding and studying existing knowledge and phenomena, with the goal of finding new perspectives and implications. It involves constant exploration and investigation, and can continue indefinitely, depending on available resources and interests. In the academic setting, research often involves studying a specific topic in depth and building a reputation in that field.
ank_gl
what is research? how would you define it? what am I doing if I am researching?

Ok, that's pretty vague. I am talking about academic research. I have been working in a so called Research & Development organization for past two years, and no doubt, I am loving it. I love the freedom, I love the docile(ductility maybe :D) nature of my bosses. All in all, its good.

However, I sometimes wonder, if what I am doing is really research? I get a problem statement, I study the phenomenon, study the causes, understand the mechanism of process, maybe predict the behavior of our product, write a report and holla! move on to next.

What I am really doing is understanding what is already known. Maybe few times, I do end up looking at a concept from entirely another prospective, maybe a different understanding, another implication. But mostly, everything is there, we are just trying to look it & then look from various angles. And that is all there is to it.

Is this really what research means? I mean, you just keep wandering, absent minded, and suddenly a realization hits you & you are soo excited, move on, same wandering starts again with something else . Or have I just drifted away?

I mean, there is soo much information already available, how can I ever do something entirely new?

PS: If you are thinking of blasting me for my immature thinking, don't bother:zzz:

Physics news on Phys.org
ank_gl said:
PS: If you are thinking of blasting me for my immature thinking, don't bother:zzz:

Not at all. But I would suggest that Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Great research tools available to all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research

thanks wuli, but that's not what I meant.

what I was(am) looking for was(is) what people in similar profession feel? How do you feel content with the lifestyle? What motivates you? how do you plan the next step? and most importantly, how do you know when to stop?

ank_gl said:
how do you know when to stop?

When you've saved enough money to retire on, of course!

... how do you know when to stop in a specific research topic?

ank_gl said:
... how do you know when to stop in a specific research topic?

When you're sick of it/when you don't get anymore funding to do this.

There are always more things you can investigate about something. There are always questions popping up. Once you've answered them, there are already new questions that are waiting. So you can go on in a specific research topic for a long long long time.

if you build up a repoirtore in a niche, you're chances of getting grants in that niche or much better than other topics.

1. What is the purpose of conducting research?

The purpose of conducting research is to gain knowledge and understanding about a particular topic or phenomenon. This can help to inform decision-making, solve problems, and contribute to the advancement of a field or discipline.

2. What are the different types of research?

There are several types of research, including quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods, and action research. Quantitative research involves collecting and analyzing numerical data, while qualitative research focuses on understanding the meaning and experiences of individuals. Mixed methods research combines both quantitative and qualitative approaches, and action research involves conducting research in collaboration with stakeholders to bring about social change.

3. How do researchers design a study?

Researchers typically begin by identifying a research question or hypothesis that they want to investigate. They then develop a research design, which outlines the methods and procedures that will be used to collect and analyze data. This may include selecting participants, choosing a sample size, and determining the appropriate research methods to use.

4. What is the importance of ethical considerations in research?

Ethical considerations are crucial in research as they ensure that the rights and well-being of participants are protected. This includes obtaining informed consent, maintaining confidentiality, and avoiding harm or deception. Adhering to ethical guidelines also helps to maintain the integrity and credibility of research findings.

5. How do researchers interpret and communicate their findings?

Researchers interpret their findings by analyzing and synthesizing the data collected during the study. This may involve using statistical analysis or thematic coding to identify patterns and themes. Communicating findings involves writing a research report or article, presenting at conferences, or publishing in academic journals. Researchers may also communicate their findings to the general public through media outlets or other forms of outreach.