Residual stress - Ansys welding simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of moving from a successful thermal analysis to a structural analysis in ANSYS 12.0 for the determination of residual stresses due to TIG welding. The use of APDL and the LDREAD command is suggested for importing the thermal solution onto the structural elements. A request for assistance in learning ANSYS Workbench for TIG welding analysis is also mentioned.
se7h
Hello, first of all I apologize if there is already a topic with this solution but this is my first time here, and I'm a little lost :frown:

I'm developing a work which consists in the determination of residual stresses due to TIG welding. I have developed the model and ran a successful thermal analysis, however I am having trouble in moving to a structural analysis. I've read a few scripts but I can not load the temperature history for further structural analysis. The software I'm using is the ANSYS 12.0.

Thank you for your attention.

(I apologize for any mistake of vocabulary)

Engineering news on Phys.org
do you get the solution of your above mention problem?
Even I am working on simulation of friction stir welding in ansys and facing similar problem in getting result for residual stresses induced due to welding

If you are using APDL then what you have to do is:

1. Create a second model that has structural elements. (Just change the element type and recreate the model, if you are using APDL this is very easy.)
2. Use the LDREAD command to import the thermal solution onto the structural elements
3. Apply any additional boundary conditions
4. Solve and post process.

Hi i try to learn ansys workbench, i want to develop tig welding analysis in ansys workbench but i can not. i try yo do transient thermal analysis but i can't move the heat source(tig welding). Can you help me? Thanks...

1. What is residual stress in welding simulation?

Residual stress in welding simulation refers to the internal stress that remains in a material after the welding process is completed. This stress is caused by the thermal expansion and contraction of the material during the welding process, which can lead to distortion and potential failure of the welded structure.

2. Why is it important to consider residual stress in welding simulation?

It is important to consider residual stress in welding simulation because it can significantly affect the structural integrity and performance of the welded component. If not properly accounted for, residual stress can lead to premature failure, distortion, and dimensional inaccuracies in the final product.

3. How does Ansys software simulate residual stress in welding?

Ansys software uses a finite element analysis approach to simulate residual stress in welding. It takes into account the material properties, welding parameters, and thermal history to accurately predict the distribution and magnitude of residual stress in the welded structure.

4. Can Ansys welding simulation predict the effects of residual stress on the welded component?

Yes, Ansys welding simulation can predict the effects of residual stress on the welded component. It can provide information on the areas of the component that are most susceptible to failure due to residual stress, as well as the amount of distortion that may occur.

5. How can the results of Ansys welding simulation be used to improve the welding process?

The results of Ansys welding simulation can be used to optimize the welding process and minimize the effects of residual stress. By understanding the distribution and magnitude of residual stress, engineers can make adjustments to the welding parameters and material selection to reduce the impact of residual stress on the final product.