Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residual stress - Ansys welding simulation

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hello, first of all I apologize if there is already a topic with this solution but this is my first time here, and I'm a little lost :frown:

I'm developing a work which consists in the determination of residual stresses due to TIG welding. I have developed the model and ran a successful thermal analysis, however I am having trouble in moving to a structural analysis. I've read a few scripts but I can not load the temperature history for further structural analysis. The software I'm using is the ANSYS 12.0.

Thank you for your attention.

(I apologize for any mistake of vocabulary)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2
    do you get the solution of your above mention problem?
    Even I am working on simulation of friction stir welding in ansys and facing similar problem in getting result for residual stresses induced due to welding

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    If you are using APDL then what you have to do is:

1. Create a second model that has structural elements. (Just change the element type and recreate the model, if you are using APDL this is very easy.)
    2. Use the LDREAD command to import the thermal solution onto the structural elements
    3. Apply any additional boundary conditions
    4. Solve and post process.

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4
    Hi i try to learn ansys workbench, i want to develop tig welding analysis in ansys workbench but i can not. i try yo do transient thermal analysis but i can't move the heat source(tig welding). Can you help me??? Thanks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook