Resistance, cross-sectional area of long coated wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Cocoleia
Messages
293
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


upload_2017-2-27_16-26-36.png

upload_2017-2-27_16-27-11.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I attempted all of the parts:
upload_2017-2-27_16-31-15.png

upload_2017-2-27_16-31-49.png
I think I did the right things for a-b-c-d, but I am pretty unsure about e & f. Can someone verify if my logic is right? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
think I did the right things for a-b-c-d
You have d wrong. The formula you quoted is not quite right.
 
haruspex said:
You have d wrong. The formula you quoted is not quite right.
Ah I see it should be 1/Req. If I change that, will the following steps be right assuming I use that value ?
 
Cocoleia said:
Ah I see it should be 1/Req. If I change that, will the following steps be right assuming I use that value ?
Your method in e) is right.
In f, you seem to have assumed all of I is in the inner wire when calculating the current density there.
 
kuruman said:
(a)-(d) look correct.
(e) is incorrect. You need to take the ratio as the question indicates, not the product.
If you read posts 2 and 3, you'll see that d) was wrong, and this led to the wrong expression in e.
 
haruspex said:
Your method in e) is right.
In f, you seem to have assumed all of I is in the inner wire when calculating the current density there.
How do I calculate it without assuming this? By the way, this isn't homework, I am just working on problems to prepare for an exam tomorrow.
 
Cocoleia said:
How do I calculate it without assuming this? By the way, this isn't homework, I am just working on problems to prepare for an exam tomorrow.
One way would be to suppose the potential applied to the wire is V and compute what current would flow in each component.