Resistance, cross-sectional area of long coated wire

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a homework problem consisting of several parts (a)-(f). The person attempted all parts and was unsure about parts e and f. They asked for verification of their logic and were informed that part d was incorrect. They then corrected their mistake and asked if their subsequent steps were correct. Their method in part e was deemed correct, but they were advised to take the ratio instead of the product. In part f, they were told that they assumed incorrect values for the current density. They asked for guidance on how to calculate it without making this assumption. It was clarified that the problem was not a homework assignment, but rather practice for an exam. One solution proposed was to assume a potential and calculate the corresponding current flow
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-27_16-26-36.png

upload_2017-2-27_16-27-11.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted all of the parts:
upload_2017-2-27_16-31-15.png

upload_2017-2-27_16-31-49.png
I think I did the right things for a-b-c-d, but I am pretty unsure about e & f. Can someone verify if my logic is right? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
think I did the right things for a-b-c-d
You have d wrong. The formula you quoted is not quite right.

haruspex said:
You have d wrong. The formula you quoted is not quite right.
Ah I see it should be 1/Req. If I change that, will the following steps be right assuming I use that value ?

Cocoleia said:
Ah I see it should be 1/Req. If I change that, will the following steps be right assuming I use that value ?
Your method in e) is right.
In f, you seem to have assumed all of I is in the inner wire when calculating the current density there.

kuruman said:
(a)-(d) look correct.
(e) is incorrect. You need to take the ratio as the question indicates, not the product.
If you read posts 2 and 3, you'll see that d) was wrong, and this led to the wrong expression in e.

haruspex said:
Your method in e) is right.
In f, you seem to have assumed all of I is in the inner wire when calculating the current density there.
How do I calculate it without assuming this? By the way, this isn't homework, I am just working on problems to prepare for an exam tomorrow.

Cocoleia said:
How do I calculate it without assuming this? By the way, this isn't homework, I am just working on problems to prepare for an exam tomorrow.
One way would be to suppose the potential applied to the wire is V and compute what current would flow in each component.

FAQ: Resistance, cross-sectional area of long coated wire

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through a material. It is represented by the letter R and measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How does the cross-sectional area of a long coated wire affect resistance?

The cross-sectional area of a wire refers to the size of the wire's cross-section. The larger the cross-sectional area, the lower the resistance will be, as there is more space for electrons to flow through the wire.

3. What is the relationship between resistance and wire length?

The longer the wire, the higher the resistance will be. This is because the electrons have to travel a longer distance, encountering more obstacles and increasing the overall resistance.

4. How does the type of coating on a wire affect its resistance?

The type of coating on a wire can affect its resistance in different ways. Some coatings, such as copper, have low resistance, while others, such as rubber, have higher resistance. The thickness of the coating can also impact resistance, as a thicker coating will provide more obstacles for electrons to pass through.

5. How can I calculate the resistance of a long coated wire?

You can calculate the resistance of a long coated wire by using the formula R = ρL/A, where R is resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

Back