Resistance of the voltmeter

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the internal resistance of a battery and the resistance of a voltmeter. The solution involves finding the internal resistance first and then using Ohm's law to find the current and resistance of the voltmeter. There is also a discussion about the validity of the current and resistance values in different experiments.
moenste

Homework Statement

A battery is known to have an EMF of 5.0 V but when a certain voltmeter is connected to it the reading is 4.9 V. The battery can deliver a current of 0.40 A when connected to a resistance of 12 Ω. What is the resistance of the voltmeter?

Answer: 24.5 Ω.

2. The attempt at a solution
Let's find the internal resistance first: E = I (r + R) → 5 = 0.40 = (r + 12) → r = 0.5 Ω.

Then we have 4.9 = 5 - I r → I = 0.2 A and the resistance is R = V / I = 4.9 / 0.2 = 24.5 Ω.

Is this correct? I am mostly unsure why do we look for current in here 4.9 = 5 - I r. The internal resistance is in series with the battery and the current is equal to 0.4 A.

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
Is this correct? I am mostly unsure why do we look for current in here 4.9 = 5 - I r. The internal resistance is in series with the battery and the current is equal to 0.4 A.
The current is not 0.4 A when it's just the meter attached to the battery. The 0.40 A occurs when the 12 Ω resistor is connected to the battery. They are two separate experiments.

upload_2016-10-3_10-9-16.png

Likes moenste
gneill said:
The current is not 0.4 A when it's just the meter attached to the battery. The 0.40 A occurs when the 12 Ω resistor is connected to the battery. They are two separate experiments.

View attachment 106878
Case 2 is the original case, right?

moenste said:
Case 2 is the original case, right?
What do you consider to be the original case?

Likes moenste
gneill said:
What do you consider to be the original case?
E = 5 V, I = 0.4 A, R = 12 Ohm.

moenste said:
E = 5 V, I = 0.4 A, R = 12 Ohm.
Then yes, that's what's depicted in Case 2.

Likes moenste
A simplifying assumption was made that battery source impedance is invariant with respect to current.

Likes moenste

1. What is the resistance of a voltmeter?

The resistance of a voltmeter is typically very high, ranging from 10,000 to 1,000,000 ohms. This is necessary in order to minimize the impact of the voltmeter on the circuit being measured.

2. How does the resistance of a voltmeter affect the accuracy of measurements?

The higher the resistance of a voltmeter, the more accurate the measurements will be. This is because a high resistance voltmeter draws less current from the circuit, causing less disturbance to the circuit's voltage.

3. Is the resistance of a voltmeter a fixed value?

No, the resistance of a voltmeter can vary based on the type and quality of the instrument. Some voltmeters have adjustable resistance settings for more precise measurements.

4. Can the resistance of a voltmeter be too high?

Yes, if the resistance of a voltmeter is too high, it may not be able to accurately measure low voltages. This is because the high resistance can cause a voltage drop in the circuit being measured.

5. How does the resistance of a voltmeter differ from the resistance of an ammeter?

The resistance of a voltmeter is much higher than that of an ammeter. This is because ammeters need to have a low resistance in order to measure the current flowing through a circuit, while voltmeters need a high resistance to measure the voltage across a circuit.