Resistance reduction and source transformation to find voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses using resistance reduction and source transformation to find Vx in a circuit with multiple resistors and a current source. The individual is able to solve the problem by realizing that the resistors in between the current source are in parallel and using this information to perform source transformation. The final solution is Vx = 8 V.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Use resistance reduction and source transformation to find Vx in the circuit below. All resistance values are in ohms.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I know I can combine the 16 Ω resistors, but where I'm having a little trouble is knowing how to do the source transformation if the current source is parallel to the 12 Ω and 6Ω resistor. I can combine all of the resistors on the left and right side, but it will leave me with a current source in parallel to two resistors

Attachments

• 2.4 attempt 1.png
    2.4 attempt 1.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 587
Physics news on Phys.org
If the current source is in parallel with the 12 Ω and 6Ω resistors, then that also means the 12 Ω and 6Ω resistors are in parallel with each other...

See if you can reduce the network of resistors as much as possible (leaving the "Vx" resistor alone, of course).

You should be able to combine the entire network on the left side of the current source with the 6Ω on the right.
Let us know when you've got it.

I was able to solve it, and got Vx = 8 V. The problem was that I was unaware that the resistors in between the current source were in parallel, so when doing a source transformation I thought which one should I do it with, but now I know.

, which I'm not sure how to handle.One approach to solving this problem would be to first use resistance reduction to simplify the circuit as much as possible. This will involve combining the 16 Ω resistors and the 12 Ω and 6 Ω resistors. Once you have simplified the circuit as much as possible, you can then use source transformation to convert the current source into a voltage source and a resistor in series. This will allow you to apply Ohm's law to find the voltage across the 12 Ω and 6 Ω resistors, which will in turn help you find Vx.

Another approach would be to directly apply source transformation to the circuit before using resistance reduction. In this case, you would convert the current source into a voltage source and a resistor in parallel with the 12 Ω and 6 Ω resistors. You can then use Kirchhoff's voltage law to find the voltage across this parallel combination, which will again help you find Vx.

Both approaches are valid and will lead to the same result. The key is to carefully apply resistance reduction and source transformation techniques in a step-by-step manner, simplifying the circuit as you go along until you are able to find Vx.

1. What is resistance reduction and how does it work?

Resistance reduction is a technique used in electrical circuits to decrease the overall resistance of a circuit. This is typically done by replacing a single resistor with multiple resistors in parallel. The total resistance of the circuit is then decreased, allowing for a higher flow of current.

2. What is source transformation and why is it used?

Source transformation is a method used to simplify a circuit by converting voltage sources into current sources or vice versa. This is done to make it easier to analyze the circuit and find the voltage across a particular component. It is also useful for finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit.

3. How do I determine the voltage across a component using source transformation?

To find the voltage across a component using source transformation, you first need to convert all voltage sources into current sources or vice versa. Then, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to find the voltage across the component by multiplying the current by the equivalent resistance.

4. Can resistance reduction and source transformation be used together?

Yes, resistance reduction and source transformation can be used together to simplify a circuit and find the voltage across a component. By using both techniques, the overall resistance of the circuit can be decreased and the equivalent resistance can be found, making it easier to calculate the voltage across a specific component.

5. Are there any limitations to using resistance reduction and source transformation?

There are some limitations to using resistance reduction and source transformation. These techniques may not work for circuits with non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, they may not work for circuits with dependent sources, as the equivalent resistance and voltage may vary depending on the source. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit before using these techniques.