1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance reduction and source transformation to find voltage

1. Feb 11, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use resistance reduction and source transformation to find Vx in the circuit below. All resistance values are in ohms.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, I know I can combine the 16 Ω resistors, but where I'm having a little trouble is knowing how to do the source transformation if the current source is parallel to the 12 Ω and 6Ω resistor. I can combine all of the resistors on the left and right side, but it will leave me with a current source in parallel to two resistors

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If the current source is in parallel with the 12 Ω and 6Ω resistors, then that also means the 12 Ω and 6Ω resistors are in parallel with each other...

See if you can reduce the network of resistors as much as possible (leaving the "Vx" resistor alone, of course).

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3
    You should be able to combine the entire network on the left side of the current source with the 6Ω on the right.
    Let us know when you've got it.

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

I was able to solve it, and got Vx = 8 V. The problem was that I was unaware that the resistors in between the current source were in parallel, so when doing a source transformation I thought which one should I do it with, but now I know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted