'Resistance to Temperature Changes'

• Thread starter 13Miranda13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, for a science project about heat capacity, it is important to research the correct terminology and types of heat capacity, such as extensive heat capacity, molar heat capacity, and specific heat capacity. An example of the difference in heat capacity between benzene and water is due to hydrogen bonding in water, which requires more energy to break apart and raises its temperature more slowly compared to benzene. For a project about electrical resistance and temperature, researching the "temperature coefficient of resistance" is a good starting point.
13Miranda13
Please explain to me how that works. I chose that topic for a science project but I can't find any information on it. Thanks!
Miranda

Physics news on Phys.org
If you chose it for a science project, you should first put some work in it yourself before we can help you. What do you expect from the project?

A lot of things in science require having the correct terminology. I believe what you are interested in is known as heat capacity. It comes in a variety of forms, such as extensive heat capacity (the amount of heat something can absorb before raising in temperature, but the amount will increase depending on the quantity of the matter), molar heat capacity (the amount of heat capacity per standard mole), and specific heat capacity.

Try researching these things and you should find a lot more information.

I can illustrate the basic idea by an example. Benzene is a liquid at room temperature. If you begin to heat benzene you will see the temperature go up rather quickly. Water is also a liquid, but it will heat up more slowly for the same amount of heating. This is because the Hydrogen atoms on some molecules in the water tend to be attracted to the Oxygen atoms on other molecules in the water (this is called hydrogen bonding). This is a strong effect and so more energy (in the form of heat) must be applied to break up the attraction and thus raise the temperature of the water. We quantify this by giving water a higher heat capacity than benzene.

Thanks for your help Monique.
Miranda

Hello miranda my guess is that the project is about how electrical resistance changes with temperature.If this is the case a good starting point is to research"temperature coefficient of resistance"

What is resistance to temperature changes?

Resistance to temperature changes is the ability of a material or system to maintain its physical properties and functionality in the face of changes in temperature.

How is resistance to temperature changes measured?

Resistance to temperature changes is typically measured by the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is the ratio of the change in length or volume of a material to the change in temperature.

What factors affect resistance to temperature changes?

The key factors that affect resistance to temperature changes include the type of material, its molecular structure, and the magnitude and rate of the temperature change.

Why is resistance to temperature changes important?

Resistance to temperature changes is important because it affects the performance and reliability of materials and systems in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics. It can also impact the safety and functionality of products in everyday use.

How can resistance to temperature changes be improved?

Resistance to temperature changes can be improved through the use of materials with low CTE, proper design and engineering techniques, and the incorporation of temperature-resistant coatings or additives.