1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Resistance to Temperature Changes'

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    Please explain to me how that works. I chose that topic for a science project but I can't find any information on it. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you chose it for a science project, you should first put some work in it yourself before we can help you. What do you expect from the project?
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    A lot of things in science require having the correct terminology. I believe what you are interested in is known as heat capacity. It comes in a variety of forms, such as extensive heat capacity (the amount of heat something can absorb before raising in temperature, but the amount will increase depending on the quantity of the matter), molar heat capacity (the amount of heat capacity per standard mole), and specific heat capacity.

Try researching these things and you should find a lot more information.

I can illustrate the basic idea by an example. Benzene is a liquid at room temperature. If you begin to heat benzene you will see the temperature go up rather quickly. Water is also a liquid, but it will heat up more slowly for the same amount of heating. This is because the Hydrogen atoms on some molecules in the water tend to be attracted to the Oxygen atoms on other molecules in the water (this is called hydrogen bonding). This is a strong effect and so more energy (in the form of heat) must be applied to break up the attraction and thus raise the temperature of the water. We quantify this by giving water a higher heat capacity than benzene.
  5. Apr 10, 2009 #4
    Thanks for your help Monique.
  6. Apr 10, 2009 #5
    Hello miranda my guess is that the project is about how electrical resistance changes with temperature.If this is the case a good starting point is to research"temperature coefficient of resistance"
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?