Maximum flame temperature during Combustion of CH4

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the maximum flame temperature of a reaction, with the answer being 4805K. However, the person asking for help made a mistake in their calculation and was corrected by the expert. The expert also noted that the heat capacity of N2 was given for a related question about combustion in different oxygen levels. The person asking for help apologized for their mistake and found a correct answer of 2280K for the related question.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Combustion of CH4 at constant pressure (P=1bar).
Relevant Equations
CH4 (g) + 2O2 (g) --> CO2 (g) + 2H2O (g)
Enthalpy of reaction = -803 kJ.mol-1
Hi, I have to calculate the maximum flame temperature of the reaction above. The answer is 4805K but I didn't manage to obtain that answer. Please help me find my error, thank you so much! The values of C are below the solution attempt.
252494934_212766377526123_3956713850276630744_n.jpg
valeurs.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
What does a flame that you can see consist of?

Where you have written (Tf - 298)2, that should be (Tf2 - 2982). Correcting this gives 4805 K. But who says this is the right answer? Why do you think they give you the heat capacity of N2?

Likes Chestermiller
mjc123 said:
Where you have written (Tf - 298)2, that should be (Tf2 - 2982). Correcting this gives 4805 K. But who says this is the right answer? Why do you think they give you the heat capacity of N2?
Thank you sir! My excuses for my math. They gave the heat capacity of N2 for the following question that asks about the combustion in 20% O2 and 80% N2.
This question is for combustion in 100% O2.
But again, thank you so much for your help!
By the way, I found 2280K for the combustion in 20% O2 and 80% N2, that should be correct right?

1. What is the maximum flame temperature during combustion of CH4?

The maximum flame temperature during combustion of CH4, also known as methane, is approximately 1950 degrees Celsius or 3542 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How is the maximum flame temperature of CH4 determined?

The maximum flame temperature of CH4 is determined by the chemical reaction between methane and oxygen, which produces heat and light. This reaction is known as combustion and the maximum temperature is reached when the reaction is at its most efficient.

3. What factors can affect the maximum flame temperature during combustion of CH4?

The maximum flame temperature during combustion of CH4 can be affected by several factors including the amount of oxygen present, the rate of fuel consumption, and the type of fuel being burned. Other factors such as the presence of impurities in the fuel or air can also impact the maximum temperature.

4. How does the maximum flame temperature of CH4 compare to other fuels?

The maximum flame temperature of CH4 is relatively high compared to other fuels such as propane and butane. This is due to the molecular structure of methane, which allows for a more efficient combustion process and a higher maximum temperature.

5. Why is it important to know the maximum flame temperature during combustion of CH4?

Knowing the maximum flame temperature during combustion of CH4 is important for several reasons. It allows for the safe and efficient use of methane as a fuel source, as well as the development of technologies and processes that rely on high temperatures. It also helps in understanding the environmental impact of methane combustion and finding ways to reduce emissions.