What Is the Resistance of Each Wire in a Series Circuit at Constant Temperature?

In summary, to calculate the resistivity of a material, you need to know the relaxation time, density, and molar mass of the material. There is an equation that can be used, which is ρ = m/(nq^2τ), where ρ is the resistivity, m is the molar mass, n is the number of free electrons per unit volume, q is the charge of an electron, and τ is the relaxation time.
stardust289
A carbon wire and a Nichrome wire are connected one after the other. If the combination has total resistance of 10.0 k ohm at 20°C, what is the resistance of each wire at 20°C so that the resistance of the combination does not change with temperature?(resistivity at 20°C of: nichrome= 1.5x10^-6 ohms m, Carbon= 3.5x 10^-8 ohms m, Temp. coef of resistivity: nichrome= .4x 10^-3/°C, carbon:-.5x10^-3/°C)

that's the question and here is what i did...

[1.5x 10^-6ohms(1+.4x10^-3)0]+[3.5x10^-8ohms(1+-.5x10-3)0]= 10 ohms
i was given 4 points out of 20. could someone explain the correct answer to me...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you were trying to do with your calculation.

You do not need resistivity; only resistance. The temperature coefficients tell you the percentage change in resistance for a change by one celcius degree. You can write an equation that equates the resistance of the combo at two different temperature values. The basic idea is that you want the resistance in one material to change in the exact opposite way as the other, so that the change is compensated (cancelled).

thanks for responding! so then

10ohms=N(1.5x10^-6) + -C(3.5x10^-8) right?

how do i find the resistance if i don't know the lenghth?

I don't know what your equation means. Try to explain your logic in words.

Given the following data on copper, how do i calculate the resistivity?

Relaxation time: 2.50e10-14s
Density: 8940Kgm-3
molar mass: 63.5g

is there an equation for it.

Related to What Is the Resistance of Each Wire in a Series Circuit at Constant Temperature?

1. What is the formula for calculating the resistivity of a wire?

The formula for calculating the resistivity of a wire is ρ = RA/L, where ρ is resistivity, R is the resistance of the wire, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length of the wire.

2. How does the resistivity of a wire affect its conductivity?

The resistivity of a wire is inversely proportional to its conductivity. This means that as the resistivity increases, the conductivity decreases. This is because higher resistivity means there is more opposition to the flow of electric current through the wire.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of a wire?

The resistivity of a wire is affected by several factors, including the material the wire is made of, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistivity, longer wires, and smaller cross-sectional areas will have higher resistivity.

4. How does temperature affect the resistivity of a wire?

Temperature has a direct effect on the resistivity of a wire. As the temperature of a wire increases, its resistivity also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the wire vibrate more, creating more obstacles for the flow of electric current.

5. What is the unit of measurement for resistivity?

The unit of measurement for resistivity is ohm-meter (Ω*m). This unit represents the amount of resistance a material has to the flow of electric current. It is also sometimes expressed in terms of ohms per centimeter (Ω/cm) or ohms per inch (Ω/in).