Resistor in a Circuit with varying resistance.

In summary: Okay so in order to solve this problem, you could use power as the differential equation. However, there is an issue in that i(the current is not isolated) is included in the power calculation. You could try to isolate the current by noting that R1 and R2 are in parallel and solving for ε-iReq, but I think this would be more difficult than it is worth.
Jonnyto

Homework Statement

In the circuit of Fig. 23, ℰ, R1, and R2 have constant values but R can be varied. Find an expression for R that results in the maximum heating in that resistor.

Homework Equations

V=IR
resistors in parallel add up in inverse,
resistors in series add up directly,

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so the way I undertook this problem was considering as R2 and R to be parallel, so I found the equivalent capacitance of those two. I got that new resistance and and then I considered R1 and then the new parallel system of parallels to be resistors in series. Later I used Kirchoff's Loop rule to isolate the new capacitance. ε-iReq=0
I used basic algebra to separate the R from all other values. Was this correct? I left the current, i, in the expression. The current is not actually part of the given.

Attachments

• resistor.JPG
    resistor.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonnyto said:
I used basic algebra to separate the R from all other values. Was this correct? I left the current, i, in the expression. The current is not actually part of the given.

You have obtained current through the required resistor as a function of R right? Plug that in the equation of the power dissipated by the resistor to obtain the power P as a function of R.

Now have you used calculus to find the minima or maxima of a function before?

Okay how would I solve it using power? Do I set up the power as a differential dw/dt?
However an issue is that i(the current is not isolated) and it is mixed within all the other values. I can only isolate either the varying resistance or the current or at least I think so.

Jonnyto said:

Homework Statement

In the circuit of Fig. 23, ℰ, R1, and R2 have constant values but R can be varied. Find an expression for R that results in the maximum heating in that resistor.

Homework Equations

V=IR
resistors in parallel add up in inverse,
resistors in series add up directly,

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so the way I undertook this problem was considering as R2 and R to be parallel, so I found the equivalent capacitance of those two. I got that new resistance and and then I considered R1 and then the new parallel system of parallels to be resistors in series. Later I used Kirchoff's Loop rule to isolate the new capacitance. ε-iReq=0

Um, there' are no capacitors in the given circuit, so surely you're not finding equivalent capacitance. Equivalent resistance perhaps, but not capacitance.

Have you found an expression for the current through resistor R? If so, what did you find?

Jonnyto said:
Okay how would I solve it using power? Do I set up the power as a differential dw/dt?
However an issue is that i(the current is not isolated) and it is mixed within all the other values. I can only isolate either the varying resistance or the current or at least I think so.

Don't write P as dw/dt. Just write power as i2R. In this expression write i in terms of R. You don't need the actual value of i to solve this. (remember, i is the current through the unknown resistor.)

I just want to clarify whether they have taught you to use calculus to find the maxima and minima of a function.

1. What is a resistor in a circuit with varying resistance?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to control the flow of electric current in a circuit. In a circuit with varying resistance, the resistance of the resistor can be changed to adjust the current flowing through the circuit.

2. How does a resistor affect the current in a circuit?

A resistor affects the current in a circuit by impeding the flow of electrons. The higher the resistance of the resistor, the lower the current will be. This is known as Ohm's law which states that the current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

3. What factors can cause the resistance of a resistor to vary?

The resistance of a resistor can vary due to factors such as temperature, material, and length. When a resistor is heated, its resistance increases. Different materials also have different resistivity, which affects the resistance. And the length of the resistor can also impact its resistance.

4. How is the resistance of a resistor measured in a circuit?

The resistance of a resistor is measured using a device called a multimeter. This device measures the voltage and current in the circuit and uses Ohm's law to calculate the resistance. The resistance is usually measured in ohms (Ω).

5. What is the purpose of using a resistor in a circuit with varying resistance?

The purpose of using a resistor in a circuit with varying resistance is to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This can be useful in regulating the voltage or preventing damage to other components in the circuit. Resistors are also commonly used in circuits to limit the current and create voltage drops.