Resolution in scattering experiments

In summary, for electron scattering experiments, the dr Broglie wavelength is the best spatial resolution one can achieve. However, if one wants to use this wavelength for a certain resolution, they must transform to the center-of-mass reference frame.
evilcman
Here are two exercises:

1. ) The proton radius is 0.8fm. What energy electron beam do you need for this resolution, if the target is liquid H2?

2.) A pion radius is 0,65fm. What energy pion beam do you need for this resolution by scattering on the electrons of a stationary target(pi-e scattering)? Why is the beam energy so different than in the previous exercise?

------

Now, i guess the main point in both cases is that the dr Broglie wavelength of the bombarding particle is the best resolution one can achieve. But, if I just go with de Broglie wavelength = spatial resolution , then I get approx. 1,5GeV and 1,9GeV respectively, which is not that different, so I don't understand the necessity of the last question. Also, I don't think the target material is important. Can someone clarify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The common relation in electron scattering experiments is 197 MeV fermi =1, where MeV relates to the incident electron energy, and fermi is the spatial resolution.. (The proper units perhaps should be Mev/c fermi, i.e., Δp Δx = 197 MeV/c fermi). See equation 1.11 et seq. in

http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/mahgoub/My%20library/Advanced%20Quantum%20Field%20Theory.pdf

Bob S

That just mean that hbar c = 197 MeV fm, I know that, and it does not answer my question.

evilcman said:
That just mean that hbar c = 197 MeV fm, I know that, and it does not answer my question.
For pions, (pc)2 = E2 - (mc2)2

You probably need to transform to the center-of-mass (CM) reference frame. See Section 38.2 in

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-kinematics.pdf

Bob S

Bob S said:
For pions, (pc)2 = E2 - (mc2)2

You probably need to transform to the center-of-mass (CM) reference frame. See Section 38.2 in

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-kinematics.pdf

Bob S

Yes I know, but since for the pion bombarding I get pc = 1,9 GeV and m=140MeV
=> pc approx E

Now, if I have to transform to the C.M. frame (which is approximately the pion rest frame in this case) that may make a difference, but why should I do that?

evilcman said:
Now, if I have to transform to the C.M. frame (which is approximately the pion rest frame in this case) that may make a difference, but why should I do that?
The real physics is usually in the CM reference frame.

Bob S

1. What is the definition of resolution in scattering experiments?

Resolution in scattering experiments is a measure of the smallest distance or feature that can be resolved or distinguished in the resulting scattering pattern. It is often described as the ability to separate or distinguish between two closely spaced objects or features.

2. How is resolution calculated in scattering experiments?

Resolution is typically calculated by measuring the width of the central peak in the scattering pattern, also known as the full width at half maximum (FWHM). A smaller FWHM indicates a higher resolution, meaning smaller distances or features can be resolved.

3. What factors affect resolution in scattering experiments?

Several factors can affect resolution in scattering experiments, including the wavelength of the incident radiation, the size and shape of the scattering sample, and the quality and precision of the detection system.

4. Can resolution be improved in scattering experiments?

Yes, resolution can be improved by using shorter wavelengths of radiation, increasing the size of the scattering sample, and using more precise detection systems. However, there are practical limitations to how much resolution can be improved.

5. Why is resolution important in scattering experiments?

Resolution is important in scattering experiments because it allows scientists to accurately determine the structure and properties of materials at the atomic or molecular level. It also enables the detection of small changes or differences in a sample, which can be crucial for understanding its behavior and function.