Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution in scattering experiments

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    Here are two exercises:

1. ) The proton radius is 0.8fm. What energy electron beam do you need for this resolution, if the target is liquid H2?

2.) A pion radius is 0,65fm. What energy pion beam do you need for this resolution by scattering on the electrons of a stationary target(pi-e scattering)? Why is the beam energy so different than in the previous exercise?

------

Now, i guess the main point in both cases is that the dr Broglie wavelength of the bombarding particle is the best resolution one can achieve. But, if I just go with de Broglie wavelength = spatial resolution , then I get approx. 1,5GeV and 1,9GeV respectively, which is not that different, so I don't understand the necessity of the last question. Also, I don't think the target material is important. Can someone clarify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2
  4. Jun 21, 2010 #3
    That just mean that hbar c = 197 MeV fm, I know that, and it does not answer my question.

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4
  6. Jun 21, 2010 #5
    Yes I know, but since for the pion bombarding I get pc = 1,9 GeV and m=140MeV
    => pc approx E

Now, if I have to transform to the C.M. frame (which is approximately the pion rest frame in this case) that may make a difference, but why should I do that?

7. Jun 21, 2010 #6
    The real physics is usually in the CM reference frame.

Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook