Resolving Components: Solving Homework Statement

• Thread starter tooperoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the question involves a man pole vaulting and exerting a force of 810 N at an angle of 80 degrees below the horizontal. The question asks for the net force acting on the man, including its direction and magnitude. The solution involves converting the forces into components and adding them together as vectors. After some corrections, the final answer is a force of 1088.48 N at an angle of 42.88 degrees below the horizontal. The opposite reaction force and a free-body diagram are also mentioned in the conversation.
tooperoo

Homework Statement

I know this is easy, but i can't seem to sort out how to structure it properly.

This is the question:
A man is pole vaulting. Also ignore air resistance.
A man exerts a force of 810 N on a pole, at an angle of 80 degrees below the horizontal.
If the man's weight is 600 N, what is the net force acting on the man as he pushes the pole away? Include the direction and the magnitude.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the net force by 810 + 600? And isn't it meant to have a direction as well? Sorry, I am a bit confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tooperoo said:

Homework Statement

I know this is easy, but i can't seem to sort out how to structure it properly.

This is the question:
A man is pole vaulting. Also ignore air resistance.
A man exerts a force of 810 N on a pole, at an angle of 80 degrees below the horizontal.
If the man's weight is 500 N, what is the net force acting on the man as he pushes the pole away? Include the direction and the magnitude.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the net force by 810 + 500? And isn't it meant to have a direction as well? Sorry, I am a bit confused.

Add the forces as vectors.

ehild

Im struggling to deal with the weight component.

Would you assume it has no horizontal component and only a verticle one?

What I've tried:
Solved the Force (F1) with the 810N into components:

F1x = 810 sin 80 = 797.60
F1y = 810 cos 80 = 140.66

and the weight into components

Wx = 0 (is this right? there's no horizontal component because it's pointing down?)
Wy = 600N

and then added them together

= (797.69, 740.66)

applied Pythagoras to get the total magnitude
magnitude = sqrt( 797.69^2 + 740.66^2)
= 1088.48N

and then finding the direction

theta = tan^-1 (y/x)
theta = tan^-1 (740.66/797.69)
theta = 42.88 degrees

thus, the total force acting on the man is 1088.48N in the direction of 42.88 degrees below the horizontal

Last edited:
What direction are your x- and y-axes pointing in?

Wy = 660N
The problem says that the weight is 500N

bugger. in my horrible handwriting, I've made a 0 a 6. and that's a typo. ill edit it now. meant to be 600

and the usual x and y axis

edited in the new corrections

Be careful with the signs - the weight is in the negative y-direction.
Also, I think the sin and cos for the components of F1 are the wrong way round?
What angle is the force of the pole on the man making with the x-axis?

ok, so the F2 should be (0, -600)?

and i thought that sin was the opposite side of the triangle to the angle you are looking at. so the opposite side to the 80 degree angle

and i thought that sin was the opposite side of the triangle to the angle you are looking at. so the opposite side to the 80 degree angle
Yes.

F1 makes an angle of 80° with the positive x-axis.
Is this the way you've got it?

yeah, it makes an angle of 80 degrees BELOW the positive x axisand F2(0, -600) is right?

thank you so much for your help mate.

yeah, it makes an angle of 80 degrees BELOW the positive x axis

The force of the man on the pole is 80° below the x-axis.
So, the force of the pole on the man is 80° above the x-axis.

and F2(0, -600) is right?
Yes

Ohhh i see. So the force is acting basically 180 degrees to what i thought.

It's the opposite reaction no?

So how does this change my equations?

(if i ever meet you in real life, you're getting a foot rub)

Yes, this is the Newton3 reaction force - you want the force on the man.
If you draw the free-body diagram for the man you'll see your equations are almost right, but the sine and cosine are the wrong way round.

the sine and the cos are the wrong way

Last edited:
thank you so much man. i appreciate it so much

Related to Resolving Components: Solving Homework Statement

1. What is the purpose of resolving components in solving a homework statement?

Resolving components involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, simpler parts in order to better understand and solve the overall problem. This can make it easier to apply known equations and principles to the problem and can also help identify any unknown variables.

2. How do you determine the components in a given problem?

The components in a problem are typically determined by analyzing the given information and identifying any forces, vectors, or other relevant variables that act in different directions or have different magnitudes. These will then be treated as separate components in the problem-solving process.

3. What equations or principles are commonly used in resolving components?

The equations and principles used will depend on the specific problem and the type of components involved. Some common equations and principles include Newton's laws of motion, the Pythagorean theorem, and the law of sines and cosines for vector components.

4. Can you give an example of how you would use resolving components to solve a real-world problem?

Sure, let's say you are trying to calculate the force needed to push a crate up a ramp. By resolving the weight of the crate into its horizontal and vertical components, you can then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the net force required to move the crate up the ramp.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when resolving components?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider all the components involved in the problem. It's important to carefully analyze the problem and identify all forces and variables acting in different directions. Another mistake is not using the correct equations or principles for the given components, which can lead to incorrect solutions.