Resonate Frequency of Parallel RLC Circuit

In summary, the resonant frequency of the circuit in Fig 14.28 is determined by setting the imaginary part of the admittance to zero at resonance. This results in the equation j(ω0(0.1)-ω0(2)/(4+4ω0^2))=0, which simplifies to ω0(0.1)-ω0(2)/(4+4ω0^2)=0. Solving for ω0 gives the resonant frequency.
p75213

Homework Statement

Determine the resonant frequency of the circuit in Fig 14.28 (See attached)

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{\rm{How is }} \to {\omega _0}0.1 - \frac{{2{\omega _0}}}{{4 + 4\omega _0^2}} \\
{\rm{derived from }} \to j{\omega _0}0.1 + \frac{{2 - j{\omega _0}}}{{4 + 4{\omega ^2}}} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

I'm sure this is not difficult but I just can't see it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 17 21.19.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 17 21.19.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 586
Physics news on Phys.org
You consider just the two terms with a "j" in them. I've corrected where you omitted a "2".
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{\rm{How is }} \to {\omega _0}0.1 - \frac{{2{\omega _0}}}{{4 + 4\omega _0^2}} \\
{\rm{derived from }} \to j{\omega}0.1 + \frac{{2 - j{2{\omega} }}}{{4 + 4{\omega ^2}}} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Still can't see it.

One of the terms with a j in it is jω0.1

What is the other term with a j in it?

NascentOxygen said:
One of the terms with a j in it is jω0.1

What is the other term with a j in it?

The other term is -j2w. I still can't see how this helps.

p75213 said:
The other term is -j2w. I still can't see how this helps.
That's only the numerator; what is its denominator?

How's this? I new it was simple and the answer was already sitting there. It felt a bit like pulling teeth.

Thanks for that.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
{{\rm{How is}} \to {\omega _0}0.1 - \frac{{2{\omega _0}}}{{4 + 4\omega _0^2}}} \\
{{\rm{derived from}} \to j\omega 0.1 + \frac{{2 - 2j\omega }}{{4 + 4{\omega ^2}}}} \\
\end{array} \\
{\rm{Answer:}} \\
{\rm{At resonance }}Im(Y){\rm{ = 0:}} \\
j{\omega _0}0.1 - \frac{{j{\omega _0}2}}{{4 + 4\omega _0^2}} = 0 \to j\left( {{\omega _0}0.1 - \frac{{{\omega _0}2}}{{4 + 4\omega _0^2}}} \right) = 0 \\
{\omega _0}0.1 - \frac{{{\omega _0}2}}{{4 + 4\omega _0^2}} = 0 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

What is a parallel RLC circuit?

A parallel RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that the three components are connected side by side, with each component having the same voltage across it.

What is the resonant frequency of a parallel RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of a parallel RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive reactance (XL) and capacitive reactance (XC) cancel each other out, resulting in the circuit having the lowest impedance. This frequency can be calculated using the formula fr = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads.

How does the resonant frequency affect the current in a parallel RLC circuit?

At the resonant frequency, the current in a parallel RLC circuit is at its maximum value. This is because at this frequency, the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum, allowing a larger current to flow through the circuit.

What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, the components (R, L, and C) are connected in a series, meaning that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in parallel, meaning that the same voltage is applied across each component. Additionally, the resonant frequency for a series RLC circuit is determined by the formula fr = 1 / (2π√(LC + (R/L)2)), which takes into account the resistance (R) in the circuit.

What are some real-world applications of parallel RLC circuits?

Parallel RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in electronic filters, frequency-selective amplifiers, and tuning circuits for radio and TV receivers. They are also commonly used in power distribution systems to improve power factor and voltage regulation.