1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resultant force formula

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A charge A of -5 µC has two nearby charges: +3.0 µC at a distance 0.3 m vertically above it, and +4.0 µC at a distance of 0.4 m horizontally. Find the magnitude of the force in newton on charge A. Hint: find the vertical and horizontal components, then add these vectors to obtain the resultant.

2. Two charges of +1 and +36 nanocoulomb are separated by a distance of 100 mm. A 3rd test charge is moved along the line between these two charges. Where is the test charge when it experiences a net force = zero?

Give your answer in mm measured from the first of the two charges. Hint: think about the ratio of the two charges and deduce a ratio for the distances.
    The attempt at a solution

1. Using the formula |F| = k[(|q1||q2|)/r^2)]

I found Fhorizontal = 1.12*10^-6
    and Fverticle = 1.5*10^-6

I then use pythag, resultant = sqrt( (F_horizontal)^2 + (F_vertical)^2 )
    to give answer of 1.87*10^-6.
    I think it may be right, can somebody verify?

2. I'm not sure how to do this one!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2007 #2
    1. Havent checked the values, but the method looks right.

2. Let the distance from the charges at the point where Fnet is zero be (100-x) and x in mm. Now, find the force exerted by each of the charges on your moving charge and equate them. You should get a quadratic in x. Solve for x.
  4. Aug 6, 2007 #3
    Managed to do those ones, but I've got a new question!

Calculate the resultant force in newton on the left hand charge q = 12 µC due to charges q = -3 µC at distance 0.1 m to the right and a charge 13 µC at a further distance 0.2 m to the right (measured from the 2nd charge).
    Use the correct sign, taking force to the right as positive and to the left as negative.
    12 µC....................q =-3 µC.................................... 13 µC

|<------ 0.1 m ----->|<------------ 0.2 m-------------->|

A step by step guide would be very handy! Thanks in advance to anybody who can help
  5. Aug 6, 2007 #4
    Give it a shot first. Use coulombs law and make a FBD to point yourself in the right direction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?