Resultant Impulse Homework: ΣFΔt = mΔv

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of impulse and momentum, and the relation between them. The question asks for the resultant impulse and whether the boulders will move, based on the given information. The conversation concludes that there must be an opposing force acting on the boulders, which prevents them from moving.
x2017

Homework Statement

IMG_0051.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣFΔt = impulse
mΔv = momentum
ΣFΔt = mΔv

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_0052.jpg

I got the first part of the question (I hope I did it correctly), I just don't understand what my professor means by resultant impulse... Do I use the same equation? Is it going to be the same as a) since the boulders aren't moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
impulse is the change in momentum(FΔt=ΔP-Newtons 2nd law)
but here ΔP=0=impulse

akshay86 said:
impulse is the change in momentum(FΔt=ΔP-Newtons 2nd law)
To clarify, that is for the net (i.e. resultant) impulse.

@x2017 , in the first part, you are correct that they exert the same impulse, but your final sentence is wrong in referring to the weights of the boulders. Why did the boulders not move?

haruspex said:
To clarify, that is for the net (i.e. resultant) impulse.

@x2017 , in the first part, you are correct that they exert the same impulse, but your final sentence is wrong in referring to the weights of the boulders. Why did the boulders not move?
Hmmmm... because the force applied by each girl isn't great enough to overcome the force of friction acting on each boulder? (I expect this to be incorrect since friction isn't mentioned in he question at all, it's just the first thing that come to mind!)

x2017 said:
Hmmmm... because the force applied by each girl isn't great enough to overcome the force of friction acting on each boulder? (I expect this to be incorrect since friction isn't mentioned in he question at all, it's just the first thing that come to mind!)
We are not told which way they are pushing, but suppose it is horizontal. Neither are we told whether the boulders are simply lying on flat ground, but suppose they are. If there is no opposing horizontal force then the boulders must move. What could the opposing force be?
But you don't need to care what the opposing force is, you just need to deduce there is one. Weight acts vertically.

What is the formula for resultant impulse?

The formula for resultant impulse is ΣFΔt = mΔv, where ΣF is the sum of all forces acting on an object, Δt is the time interval, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity.

What is the significance of resultant impulse?

Resultant impulse relates to the change in momentum of an object. It describes the amount of force that is applied over a specific time interval and how it affects the object's velocity.

How is resultant impulse related to Newton's second law of motion?

Newtons's second law of motion states that the force applied to an object is equal to the object's mass multiplied by its acceleration. Resultant impulse is a way to calculate this force by considering the time interval and the change in velocity.

What are some real-world applications of resultant impulse?

Resultant impulse is used in many fields, such as sports, engineering, and physics. In sports, it can be used to analyze the force and impact of collisions, while in engineering, it is used in designing safety features for vehicles. In physics, it helps to understand the effects of forces on objects and their motion.

How can I calculate resultant impulse in a practical scenario?

To calculate resultant impulse, you need to know the sum of the forces acting on an object, the time interval, and the change in velocity. Simply plug these values into the formula ΣFΔt = mΔv and solve for the resultant impulse. Make sure to use consistent units for all the variables.