Resultant of two forces in two different situations

In summary, the conversation is discussing an algebra problem involving P and Q. The equation P² + Q² = 100 and PQ = 69 is given, and the speaker is trying to find the values of P and Q. However, there seems to be a mistake in the equation as the numbers do not work out. The conversation ends with speculation that the mistake may have been intentional.
Physics news on Phys.org
GiriBang said:
Root(P²+Q²+2PQcosø)
You have a sign error. Do a Google search for law of cosines.

Note that "Root(P²+Q²+2PQcosø)" is not a equation.

EDIT: - correction: in the text below, I originally typed '2PQ' instead of 'PQ'. I have corrected this.

You have worked out that P² + Q² =100 and PQ = 69.
Finding P and Q is now just an algebra problem. I’ll start you off...

P =√(100 – Q²) so that PQ = 69 becomes:
√(100 - Q²)Q = 69

Can you complete it from there?

@Mister T, the law of cosines for the sides of a triangle is R² =P² +Q² - 2PQcosθ. But the rules for vector-addition mean that we need the (closely related) formula R² = P² +Q² + 2PQcosø where ø is the angle between vectors P and Q. If you draw the vector addition triangle or parallogram, and remember cosθ = -cos(180º- θ), you should see what is going on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Mister T and Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
You have worked out that P² + Q² =100 and 2PQ = 69
OP has worked out that
P² + Q² =100 and PQ = 69.

I agree that P² + Q² =100 and that PQ = 69 which makes 2PQ = 138. But if that were true, then P² + Q² - 2PQ = (P-Q)2 = 100 - 138 = -38. The square of a (real) number is never negative.

It looks like the numbers are bad.

Likes Steve4Physics
kuruman said:
OP has worked out that
P² + Q² =100 and PQ = 69.

I agree that P² + Q² =100 and that PQ = 69 which makes 2PQ = 138. But if that were true, then P² + Q² - 2PQ = (P-Q)2 = 100 - 138 = -38. The square of a (real) number is never negative.

It looks like the numbers are bad.
The question is insoluble - well spotted. It might be a mistake in the question but it could be deliberate.

I've corrected my mistake in Post #3 (should have said PQ = 69, not 2PQ = 69). Thanks.

Likes kuruman

1. What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all of the individual forces acting on it combined.

2. How is the resultant force calculated?

The resultant force is calculated by finding the vector sum of the individual forces. This can be done graphically or mathematically using trigonometry.

3. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces have a net resultant force of zero, meaning they cancel each other out and do not cause any change in motion. Unbalanced forces have a net resultant force that is not zero, causing a change in motion.

4. How does the angle between two forces affect the resultant force?

The angle between two forces affects the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. If the forces are acting in the same direction, the resultant force will be larger. If they are acting in opposite directions, the resultant force will be smaller. The angle also determines the direction of the resultant force.

5. In what situations would you need to calculate the resultant force of two forces?

The resultant force of two forces is often calculated in situations where multiple forces are acting on an object, such as in a pulley system, or when determining the motion of an object on an inclined plane. It is also important in understanding the stability of structures and analyzing the forces acting on them.