What is the Solution to the Retarding Force Problem?

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving in a medium with a retarding force of mk(v^3+va^2). The objective is to show that the particle will never move more than (pi)/(2ka) for any initial velocity and that it will eventually come to rest as t -> infinity. The approach to solving this problem involves integrating the retarding force and solving for the constant C, then integrating to find the position. The solution also involves using a free body diagram and applying F=m(dv/dt) to obtain the ODE. After integrating, the final solution is t=(-1/ka^2)(ln(v/(sqrt(v^2+a^2))+C). It is important to
skeer
The Problem:
A particle moves in a medium influenced by a retarding force mk(v^3+va^2), where k and a are constants.
Show that
for any initial velocity the particle will never move more than (pi)/(2ka)
and
that it comes to rest only for t -> infinity

Attempt to solution:

I know I have to integrate the retarding force [F=-mk(v^3+va^2))] so that I can solve for v. Later, I have to solve for the constant C of the indefinite integral. Afterwards, I have to integrate to find the position.

To show the first part, I believe I have to find the value of the position as t-> infinity.
To show the second part, I believe I have to find the value of the velocity as t->infinity.

My problem: I cannot solve for v

I have solved the integral of the retarding force using trig substitution (v=acot(theta)) (dv=-acsc^2(theta)d(theta))
My final answer is:

t=(-1/ka^2)(ln(v/(sqrt(v^2+a^2))+C

If I use the quadratic equation to solve for v, I get imaginary numbers...
Am I making a mistake in my calculus or algebra?
or
Am I missing a physical concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram for the particle in motion.
Apply ##F=m\dot v##.

After the free body diagram this is what I obtained.
Since the only force acting on it is the retarding force, it equals: F= -mk(v^3+va^2) = m(dv/dt)
This is a velocity dependent force. Therefore, I integrated the force as dt = -dv/(k(v^3+va^2)
then, I used trig substitution for v = acot(x) and dv=-csc^2(x)
And after integrating I obtain:

t= (-1/ka2)(ln(v/(sqrt(v^2 +a^2)) + C

Is this correct so far?

skeer said:
After the free body diagram this is what I obtained.
Since the only force acting on it is the retarding force, it equals: F= -mk(v^3+va^2) = m(dv/dt)
This is a velocity dependent force. Therefore, I integrated the force as dt = -dv/(k(v^3+va^2)
then, I used trig substitution for v = acot(x) and dv=-csc^2(x)
And after integrating I obtain:

t= (-1/ka2)(ln(v/(sqrt(v^2 +a^2)) + C

Is this correct so far?
Have you checked that by differentiating to get the ODE?

haruspex said:
Have you checked that by differentiating to get the ODE?
Yes, I checked. I realize also what was my problem. Thank you all

Related to What is the Solution to the Retarding Force Problem?

What is a retarding force problem?

A retarding force problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the force that acts opposite to the direction of motion of an object to slow it down or bring it to a stop.

What are some examples of retarding forces?

Some examples of retarding forces include friction, air resistance, and drag. Friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces, air resistance is the force that acts against an object moving through the air, and drag is the force that acts against an object moving through a fluid.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a retarding force?

The magnitude of a retarding force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. For other types of retarding forces, such as air resistance or drag, more complex equations may be used.

How does a retarding force affect the motion of an object?

A retarding force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it will cause the object to slow down or come to a stop. The greater the magnitude of the retarding force, the faster the object will decelerate.

How can you reduce the impact of retarding forces?

To reduce the impact of retarding forces, you can use techniques such as lubricating surfaces to reduce friction, streamlining the shape of an object to reduce drag, and using materials that are less affected by air resistance. Additionally, increasing the force or energy applied to the object can help counteract the effects of retarding forces.