Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Reverse) Schottky Diode Question

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Is a reverse Schottky diode possible?

I understand the basics of the Schotkky barrier/rectifier commonly achieved by a metal/semiconductor interface.

Recently, it was suggested to me that a "reverse" Schottky junction is possible if the metal is placed against a fully depleted, high carrier concentration semiconductor. Further, this would result in a metal accelerating and reducing recombination of holes for instance in a p-type semiconductor.

I'm skeptical but lack the physics skills for rebuttal.

Any help?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2
    400 views but no replies?

Can I explain something better?

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    I don't understand the question. Yes, research Ohmic.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're suggestion that equilibrium isn't achieved?

in general; when ever two potential differences exist, then a field results. When the material with their respective valence bands and Fermi energy levels are joined, where a depletion region exists, then the net current due to recombination and even thermal electron flows, is ALWAYS 0,for both p or n type contacts. so holes would accelerate across a depleted region. but there will be not net effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook