1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolving Ball on String Problem

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    Another physics question for all you smart people out there

A 0.50-kg ball that is tied to the end of a 1.5-m light cord is revolved in a horizontal plane with the cord making a certain degree with the vertical. If the ball is moving at 4.0 m/s, how can I find the angle that the cord makes with the vertical?

This one is a toughie!

I worked on this a couple of hours, but I keep on running into the same dead ends, could anyone give us some pointers?

(This is the direction I've been trying to go with no luck)

Fx = Tsin(theta) = m((v^2)/r)
    Fy = Tcos(theta) - Fg = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2
    What does [itex]r[/itex] stand for in your equation?

4. Apr 22, 2005 #3
    r stands for the radius

5. Apr 22, 2005 #4
    Well, of course. :tongue2: I meant what value does [itex]r[/itex] take in your equation.

EDIT: Because, you know, it's not 1.5 m.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  6. Apr 23, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good. As I think Berislav was trying to point out, r depends on [itex]\theta[/itex]: rewrite r in terms of the length and the angle. Also, realize that [itex]F_g = mg[/itex].

Then just eliminate T and solve for the angle. Hint: You may need to use a trig identity.

(Note: We can't tell where you got stuck, since you only showed the first step in your solution.)

7. Apr 27, 2005 #6
    Well,

I got up to where

tan(theta)sin(theta) = 1.088

I just need to find (theta) now.

Any help????

Thanks

8. Apr 27, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Maybe this will help:
    [tex]\sin^2\theta / \cos\theta = (1 - \cos^2\theta)/ \cos\theta[/tex]

9. Apr 27, 2005 #8
    Yea, that was my next step.

**New info**

I was informed by my friend that I should use the half-angle identity for this!

I don't know how to answer this problem yet, but I'm getting there

10. Apr 28, 2005 #9

Doc Al

Use what I gave you in post #7 and solve for [itex]\cos\theta[/itex]. (Rewrite the expression as a quadratic equation in [itex]\cos\theta[/itex], then solve it.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?