What is the Riemann Sum Approximation for this Homework Problem?

In summary, the area can be approximated by using the sum of the areas of the rectangles, with the area of each rectangle being equal to the change in x multiplied by the y-value given by the function. By using the x-values of 0, 0.5, 1, and 1.5, a left-handed approximation is obtained. The y-values of 6, 3, 2, and 3/2 can then be used to calculate the area, with a final result of 25/4.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1456973_10201043975243279_1765184125_n.jpg?oh=05b39611ad70d28d837ed219e1b0f2aa&oe=52838593

Homework Equations

The area can be approximated by using the sum of the areas of the rectangles. Area of rectangle = change in x * y (given by f(x)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken calculus I, II, and diff eqs., but I haven't done this for a while. I'm doing it mostly from intuition and memory.

My x-values are 0, 0.5, 1, and 1.5. This gives me the x-values for a left-handed approximation since I'm not going up to 2.

My y-values are therefore 6, 3, 2, and 3/2.

0.5(6) + 0.5(3) + 0.5(2) + 0.5(3/2) = 3 + 3/2 + 1 + 3/4 = 25/4.

Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1456973_10201043975243279_1765184125_n.jpg?oh=05b39611ad70d28d837ed219e1b0f2aa&oe=52838593

Homework Equations

The area can be approximated by using the sum of the areas of the rectangles. Area of rectangle = change in x * y (given by f(x)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken calculus I, II, and diff eqs., but I haven't done this for a while. I'm doing it mostly from intuition and memory.

My x-values are 0, 0.5, 1, and 1.5. This gives me the x-values for a left-handed approximation since I'm not going up to 2.

My y-values are therefore 6, 3, 2, and 3/2.

0.5(6) + 0.5(3) + 0.5(2) + 0.5(3/2) = 3 + 3/2 + 1 + 3/4 = 25/4.
That is correct.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the Riemann Sum Approximation for this Homework Problem?

1. What is Riemann Sum Approximation?

Riemann Sum Approximation is a mathematical method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and finding the sum of their areas. It is named after mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is used to solve problems in calculus and physics.

2. How is Riemann Sum Approximation calculated?

To calculate Riemann Sum Approximation, the interval of the curve is divided into smaller intervals, each with a width of Δx. Then, the height of each rectangle is determined using the function at a specific point within the interval. The sum of the areas of all the rectangles gives an approximation of the area under the curve.

3. What is the purpose of using Riemann Sum Approximation?

Riemann Sum Approximation is used to estimate the value of a definite integral when it is not possible to find the exact value. It is also used to calculate the area under a curve in situations where the curve cannot be easily integrated.

4. What are the different types of Riemann Sum Approximation?

The three main types of Riemann Sum Approximation are Left Riemann Sum, Right Riemann Sum, and Midpoint Riemann Sum. These methods differ in the point at which the function is evaluated within each interval to determine the height of the rectangle.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Riemann Sum Approximation?

The advantage of Riemann Sum Approximation is that it provides a simple and intuitive way to approximate the area under a curve. However, it may not always give an accurate estimation, especially when the function is complex and the intervals are large. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation can be improved by using a larger number of smaller intervals, but this also increases the time and effort required for calculation.