Solving the Definite Integral Using Right Riemann Sums

In summary, the homework statement is that a right Riemann sum for the definite integral exists. The sum is given by (9/n^3) *Sigma(i=1,n) [sqrt(n^2+i^2)]. The Attempt at a Solution says that you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and get a numerical value for the sum. Thanks Quasar!
Weave

Homework Statement

The following sum
[tex]\sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3}{n}\right)^2} \cdot \frac{3}{n} + \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{6}{n}\right)^2} \cdot \frac{3}{n} + \ldots + \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3 n}{n}\right)^2} \cdot \frac{3}{n}[/tex]
is a right Riemann sum for the definite integral. Solve as n->infinity
[tex]\int_0^b f(x)\, dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_0^b f(x)\, dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get this one. My work is a bit long to show but I get
(9/n^3) *Sigma(i=1,n) [sqrt(n^2+i^2)]
not sure what to do here, do i substitute Sigma(i=1,n)(i^2=(n(n+1))/2?c

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A don't see a question here! What is it you are trying to "get"?

You certainly cannot "substitute Sigma(i=1,n)(i^2=(n(n+1))/2" because you are not summing i2!

my mistake, I am suppose to solve the sum as n-> infinity

help
anyone?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi, there is a result I'm sure you're aware of that says that if a function f is continuous on [a,b], then

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{b-a}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}f \left( a+i\frac{b-a}{n}\right) =\int_a^bf(x)dx[/tex]

Well this is what you got to use. You just have to find the proper f(x) and what a and b are.

Last edited:
Maybe start by rewriting the sum as

[tex]\frac{3}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{9-\left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2}[/tex]

just to fit the mold of the formula above.

ok so I've had that originally but I some how got to get i by itself(to the right of the sigma) and sub in
[tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]
that will get rid or the sigma, then I can rearrange and solve for the limit. But how to do that?

I didn't understand a word you said.

Did you read my post? There are no limits to solve. You only have to find f, a and b such that the formula of post #7 becomes that of post #8 (modulo the limit symbol).

ok so [tex]f(x)=\sqrt(9-x^2)[/tex] a=0 and b=3
giving:
[tex]\int_0^3 \sqrt(9-x^2) dx=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{3}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{9-\left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2}[/tex]
Is that what your sayin is the answer?
My homework problem says" The limit of these Riemann sums as [tex]n \to \infty[/tex] is...(blank).
And I am suppose to type something in.

Last edited:
Yes, bravo, you've got it.

Now that you know that this weird looking sum is actually equal to an integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and get yourself a nice numerical value for the sum.

Thanks quasar.
If I could ask you a hint on one more problem I would be ever more greatful.
Suppose f(x) is continuous and decreasing on the closed interval [tex]3\le x\le 11, that f(3)=7, f(11)=4 and that \displaystyle \int_{3}^{11}f(x)\,dx=46.918141.
Then \displaystyle \int_{4}^{7}f^{-1}(x)\,dx[/tex]=?

This is easily done graffically knowing that the integral is the area under the curve. All you have to do is convince yourself that the integral of f^-1 is the area btw the curve and the y axis.

ok, but we are not really given the function, we have the area on the interval 3,11. not sure where to go there

Like I said it's easy once you graphically represent the situation. You'll be able to extract the area btw the curve and the y-axis by substracting a small 3x4 square and 46.918141 to a big 7x11 square.

Haha..thats not hard at all, I guess I was expecting something different with the
f(x)-1 but I see now. thanks Quasar.

ew, gross :P Riemann sum, we learned a bit about it in precalculus this year. well i have a lot to look forward to next year *eyeroll* I'm sure it won't be that bad when i learn it

1. What is the purpose of using Right Riemann Sums to solve definite integrals?

Right Riemann Sums are used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and calculating the total area of those rectangles. This method is helpful in solving definite integrals, as it provides an estimate of the exact value of the integral.

2. How do you calculate the right Riemann sum for a given function?

To calculate the right Riemann sum, you need to divide the interval of integration into smaller subintervals of equal width. Then, evaluate the function at the right endpoint of each subinterval and multiply it by the width of the subinterval. Finally, add all of these products together to get the approximate value of the integral.

3. Can you use any number of subintervals in a right Riemann sum?

Yes, you can use any number of subintervals in a right Riemann sum. However, as the number of subintervals increases, the approximation of the integral becomes more accurate. It is recommended to use a large number of subintervals to get a more precise estimate.

4. What is the difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum?

The main difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum is the point at which the function is evaluated in each subinterval. In a left Riemann sum, the function is evaluated at the left endpoint of each subinterval, while in a right Riemann sum, the function is evaluated at the right endpoint of each subinterval.

5. Are there other methods for approximating definite integrals?

Yes, there are other methods for approximating definite integrals, such as the midpoint Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. Each method has its own advantages and can be used depending on the situation and the desired level of accuracy.