Rigid Object Under Torque: Solving for Time and Number of Revolutions

• Thread starter elkedoring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a grinding wheel of radius 7cm and mass 2kg starts from rest and accelerates uniformly under a constant torque of 0.6 Nm exerted by the motor. It takes 1.03 seconds to reach a final speed of 1200 rev/min and makes 1.03 revolutions. The correct equation for torque is τ=Iα, and for a disk rotating about its axis, I=1/2MR^2.
elkedoring
A grinding wheel is in the form of a uniform solid disk of radius 7cm and mass 2kg. It starts from rest and accelerates uniformly under the action of the constant torque of 0.6 Nm the motor exerts on the wheel. a) How long does the wheel take to reach its final operational speed of 1200 rev/min? b) Through how many revoulutions does it turn?

Torque= (m*r^2)*circular accel.
circular veloc. Final= circ.veloc. Intial + circular accel.*time

Ok, so I tried to use the above torque equation to solve for circular acceleration. So, .6/(2*.07^2) = circular accel.= 61.22 rad/s. Then I tried putting that value back into the other equation. So, 125.66 rad/s(I converted it)-0=61.22*t. Thus, t=2.06s. However, the time I am supposed to get is 1.03s (half of what I got). Could someone please explain where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
the equation for torque is [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex], and for a disk rotating about its axis, [tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex].

i think that should solve your problem. cheers

Thank you that solved the problem!

Related to Rigid Object Under Torque: Solving for Time and Number of Revolutions

1. What is a rigid object under torque?

A rigid object under torque is an object that is not able to bend or deform when a force is applied to it. Torque is the twisting force that causes the object to rotate around its axis.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are both measures of the amount of energy applied to an object. The main difference is that force is a linear or straight push or pull on an object, while torque is a rotational force around an axis.

4. How does the position of the applied force affect torque?

The position of the applied force affects torque because the distance from the axis of rotation, or the lever arm, is a key component in calculating torque. The greater the distance from the axis of rotation, the greater the torque.

5. What is the importance of understanding torque in studying rigid objects?

Understanding torque is crucial in studying rigid objects because it helps us understand how forces affect the motion and stability of these objects. It is also essential in designing and building structures and machines that can withstand and utilize torque efficiently.