Ring oscillation formula derivation

In summary: M is the mass of the ring and R is the radius to the center of mass. Plugging this into our expression for the period, we get T = 2π√[(Icm + MR^2)/mRg]. Finally, we can substitute in our expression for Icm into our equation, giving us T = 2π√[(I/mR + R^2) + d^2/g]. This is the final expression for the period of a thick ring.In summary, to derive the period for a thick ring, we considered the motion of a single point on the ring, found the forces acting on it, and used the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Derive and show that the period for a thick ring would be

T=2π√[d/g+(ΔR)^2/4Rg]

Homework Equations

I'm not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, delta R means the difference between Ri and Ro would be considerable. So ΔR=Ro-Ri. Then Ro=R+ΔR/2 and Ri=R-ΔR/2
I also know that T=2π√(I/mgr) and Itotal=Icenter of mass + MR^2...
Can you guys help me? I'm lost here. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To derive the period for a thick ring, we first need to understand its motion. The ring will be rotating about its center of mass, with a radius of R and a thickness of ΔR. We can also assume that the ring is rotating in a uniform gravitational field, with a strength of g.

To begin, let's consider the motion of a single point on the ring. This point will have a tangential velocity of v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity of the ring. As the ring rotates, this point will experience a centripetal acceleration, given by a = v^2/r = ω^2r.

Now, let's consider the forces acting on this point. We know that there is a gravitational force pulling the point towards the center of the ring, with a magnitude of mg. There is also a normal force acting on the point, perpendicular to the surface of the ring, which is responsible for providing the centripetal acceleration. This normal force can be found using Newton's second law: ΣF = ma, where ΣF is the sum of all forces acting on the point.

Since the point is moving in a circular path, we can use the radial component of this equation: N - mgcosθ = mω^2r, where θ is the angle between the normal force and the gravitational force. We can rewrite this as N = m(ω^2r + gcosθ).

Now, let's consider the moment of inertia of the ring. Since the ring has a thickness, we need to use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the center of mass. This gives us I = Icm + md^2, where Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass and d is the distance from the center of mass to the point on the ring.

Plugging in our expression for the normal force and our moment of inertia into the equation T = 2π√(I/mgr), we get T = 2π√[(Icm + md^2)/mgr]. We can simplify this by dividing both the numerator and denominator by mr, giving us T = 2π√[Icm/mr + d^2/g].

Now, let's consider the moment of inertia about the center of mass. We can use the parallel axis theorem again to find that Icm = Icm + MR^

1. What is a ring oscillator?

A ring oscillator is an electronic circuit that produces a continuous oscillating signal, typically in the form of a square wave. It is composed of an odd number of NOT gates connected in a loop, with the output of one gate feeding into the input of the next gate, and the last gate's output feeding back into the first gate's input.

2. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a ring oscillator?

The formula for calculating the frequency of a ring oscillator is: f = 1 / (2 * n * t), where f is the frequency in Hertz, n is the number of NOT gates in the loop, and t is the propagation delay time of each gate.

3. How is the ring oscillation formula derived?

The ring oscillation formula is derived by analyzing the propagation delay time of each NOT gate in the loop, and considering the time it takes for the signal to travel through the entire loop and return to its original state. This results in the formula: t = (2 * n * t), where t is the total propagation delay time for one complete cycle of the oscillator.

4. What factors can affect the frequency of a ring oscillator?

The frequency of a ring oscillator can be affected by several factors, including the number of NOT gates in the loop, the propagation delay time of each gate, and variations in the supply voltage and temperature. Changes in these factors can cause the frequency to deviate from the calculated value.

5. How can the ring oscillation formula be used in practical applications?

The ring oscillation formula can be used to design and analyze ring oscillators in practical applications, such as in clock circuits for electronic devices. By understanding the relationship between the number of gates, propagation delay time, and frequency, engineers can optimize the performance of these circuits for their intended purpose.