1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the moment of inertia eqn for a thin spherical shell

1. Jul 24, 2011 #1
    So I've been trying to derive the moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell and I've slammed into a dead end algebraically. I was able to derive an equation for a hollow sphere:

I = (2/5) M (Ro^5 - Ri^5)/(Ro^3 - Ri^3)

where Ro is the distance to the very outside of the sphere and Ri is the distance to the inner thickness of the sphere if that makes sense.

I thought I could take the limit as Ri approached Ro, to yield the rotational inertia of a very thin spherical shell as I sought out for, however, I cannot evaluate the limits even if I used L'Hopital's Rule and derived the top and bottom seperately because that would not allow me to escape the cursed indeterminant form of 0/0 which results every time until the denominator goes away to zero and then i'm really in a bad situation.

I saw a website http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertiaSphericalShell.html which reduced the (Ro^5 - Ri^5)/(Ro^3 - Ri^3) term using a series decomposition of some sort, but I have no idea what they did and it's been a while since I've meddled with Taloy Series and stuff, so any help with this or an explanation of what they did would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS! :)
    Anthony

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a very thin shell, Ro=Ri(1+δ), and δ is very small compared to 1. Rewrite your equation in terms of Ri and δ. Remember the binomial theorem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem and expand Ro5 and Ro3. Find the limit of I when [itex]\stackrel{δ}{\rightarrow}[/itex]0.

But it is easy to get I by integration for a spherical surface.

ehild

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Wait, why does Ro=Ri(1+δ) ? I don't get the (1+δ) part. I also tried expanding as they did on that webpage listed above, using Ro = Ri + r and expanding that, but I cant cancel stuff down like they did and the magical appearance of the factorials in the last step confuses me.

Thanks
    Anthony

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4
    OH WAIT NEVERMIND haha I did some algebraic gymnastics and figured it out :)

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are an excellent sportsman!:wink: Don't you try the integration?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook