Derivation of the moment of inertia eqn for a thin spherical shell

In summary: Integration is not necessary. AnthonyYou are right, integration is not necessary. I should have been more clear. :)In summary, the author was trying to derive the moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell, but they ran into a dead end algebraically. They were able to derive an equation for a hollow sphere, where Ro is the distance to the very outside of the sphere and Ri is the distance to the inner thickness of the sphere. If that makes sense.
cubejunkies
So I've been trying to derive the moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell and I've slammed into a dead end algebraically. I was able to derive an equation for a hollow sphere:

I = (2/5) M (Ro^5 - Ri^5)/(Ro^3 - Ri^3)

where Ro is the distance to the very outside of the sphere and Ri is the distance to the inner thickness of the sphere if that makes sense.

I thought I could take the limit as Ri approached Ro, to yield the rotational inertia of a very thin spherical shell as I sought out for, however, I cannot evaluate the limits even if I used L'Hopital's Rule and derived the top and bottom seperately because that would not allow me to escape the cursed indeterminant form of 0/0 which results every time until the denominator goes away to zero and then I'm really in a bad situation.

I saw a website http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertiaSphericalShell.html which reduced the (Ro^5 - Ri^5)/(Ro^3 - Ri^3) term using a series decomposition of some sort, but I have no idea what they did and it's been a while since I've meddled with Taloy Series and stuff, so any help with this or an explanation of what they did would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS! :)
Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
For a very thin shell, Ro=Ri(1+δ), and δ is very small compared to 1. Rewrite your equation in terms of Ri and δ. Remember the binomial theorem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem and expand Ro5 and Ro3. Find the limit of I when [itex]\stackrel{δ}{\rightarrow}[/itex]0.

But it is easy to get I by integration for a spherical surface.

ehild

Wait, why does Ro=Ri(1+δ) ? I don't get the (1+δ) part. I also tried expanding as they did on that webpage listed above, using Ro = Ri + r and expanding that, but I can't cancel stuff down like they did and the magical appearance of the factorials in the last step confuses me.

Thanks
Anthony

OH WAIT NEVERMIND haha I did some algebraic gymnastics and figured it out :)

You are an excellent sportsman!:wink: Don't you try the integration?

ehild

What is the moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell?

The moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell is I = (2/3) * m * r2, where m is the mass of the shell and r is the radius.

Why is the moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell calculated differently than other shapes?

The moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell is calculated differently because the distribution of mass is different compared to other shapes. The mass of a thin spherical shell is evenly distributed around its axis of rotation, resulting in a simpler equation.

How is the moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell derived?

The moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell is derived using the integral calculus. The shell is divided into many small, thin rings, and the contribution of each ring to the moment of inertia is calculated. The sum of all these contributions gives the final moment of inertia equation.

Can the moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell be used for any size or thickness of shell?

Yes, the moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell can be used for any size or thickness of shell as long as the mass is evenly distributed around the axis of rotation. However, for thicker shells, the equation may need to be modified to account for the additional mass in the shell's thickness.

What are some practical applications of the moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell?

The moment of inertia equation for a thin spherical shell is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the resistance of a spherical shell to changes in its angular velocity. It is also used in the design and analysis of rotating objects, such as gyroscopes and flywheels.