Understanding A as a Factor Ring of Q[x] and Proving its Field Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the factor ring A of Q[x] and its properties, including its identification with the complex plane and its structure as a field. The conversation provides a homomorphism and an ideal that can be used to find explicit formulas for the multiplicative inverse of A.
mikethemike

Homework Statement

:

Hey guys, I'm a new user so my semantics might be difficult to read...

Let A={a+b(square root(2)) ; a,b in Q}

(i)Describe A as a factor ring of Q[x] ( The polynomial Ring)

(ii) Show A is a field

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Let x be in C (the complex plane) then A= Q[x]/Q[c in C/{root (2)},

I don't think this is correct however, as x is always indeterminate.

(ii) I'm pretty stumped at this. I can't even convince myself that every a of A has multiplicitive inverse...

Any help would be much apprecciated! Thanks

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
a) You're right that your approach as given doesn't work because you simply adjoin [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] to Q which is a legal operation, but not a polynomial as you observe.

The key idea here as you observed is that we want to identify x with [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Consider the map [itex]f : Q[x] \to A[/itex]:
[tex]f\left(\sum_{i=0}^n a_ix^i\right) = \sum_{i=0}^n a_i \sqrt{2}^i[/tex]
which you can verify is a homomorphism.
Or a bit more concisely if you have developed the characteristic property of polynomials: Let [itex]f : Q[x] \to A[/itex] be the unique homomorphism sending a rational number r to r and x to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. You can confirm that this is surjective by considering polynomials of degree 0 or 1. Now what does the first isomorphism theorem of rings tell you? If you want a more explicit description you can identify x with [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] by considering the ideal [itex]I=(x-\sqrt{2})[/itex] and then confirm that Q[x]/I works (this is also what using the first isomorphism theorem gives you).

b) For a moment let's pretend it's a field to get ideas. That is given [itex]a+b\sqrt{2} \in A[/itex] it has a multiplicative inverse [itex]c+d\sqrt{2}\in A[/itex] such that:
[tex](a+b\sqrt{2})(c+d\sqrt{2}) = 1[/tex]
Multiplying these we get:
[tex]ac+2bd+(bc+ad)\sqrt{2} = 1[/tex]
so we want:
[tex]ac+2bd=1[/tex]
[tex]bc+ad = 0[/tex]
Now try to find c,d here in terms of a and b. If you succeed you can use this to get an explicit formula for [itex](a+b\sqrt{2})^{-1}[/itex] since you know exactly what it must be, and then it's easy to confirm that it works (this is pretty similar to how you showed that the complex numbers have inverses).

EDIT: For b I assumed you had showed that A is a commutative ring and only need the multiplicative inverses. That it's a commutative ring should be pretty easy to confirm, but if you have trouble with any particular aspect of it just post.

Hey Rasmhop,

That's perfect and very helpful. Thank you!

1. What is a ring?

A ring is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and two binary operations, usually addition and multiplication. The operations must follow specific rules, such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity, for the structure to be considered a ring.

2. What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that is similar to a ring but with the added property of multiplicative inverses for all non-zero elements. This means that every element in a field has a unique element that, when multiplied together, will result in the multiplicative identity (usually denoted as 1).

3. What is the difference between a ring and a field?

The main difference between a ring and a field is the existence of multiplicative inverses for all non-zero elements in a field. In a ring, multiplicative inverses are not guaranteed to exist, while in a field, they must exist. Additionally, a field must also follow the commutative property of multiplication, while a ring does not have to.

4. What are some examples of rings and fields?

Examples of rings include the set of integers, the set of polynomials, and the set of matrices. Examples of fields include the set of rational numbers, the set of real numbers, and the set of complex numbers.

5. How are rings and fields used in real-world applications?

Rings and fields have various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are essential in studying algebraic structures and can be used to solve problems in coding theory, cryptography, and the design of computer algorithms. They are also used in physics to describe the symmetry of physical systems.